jt0613
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm applying for universities right now but I'm wondering if I should apply for Psychology courses or Psychology with counselling courses? I want a career in clinical psychology but I'm a bit nervous because what if I take the counselling course and decide I want to go through a different path in psychology, like forensics (for example). I am 80% sure I want to go into clinical psych. So should I just do psychology or is it best to do psychology with counselling?
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
do both
bfg2001
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jt0613)
I'm applying for universities right now but I'm wondering if I should apply for Psychology courses or Psychology with counselling courses? I want a career in clinical psychology but I'm a bit nervous because what if I take the counselling course and decide I want to go through a different path in psychology, like forensics (for example). I am 80% sure I want to go into clinical psych. So should I just do psychology or is it best to do psychology with counselling?
Hey! My best friend wants to go into clinical psych, and has taken Psychology. Psychology and counselling, from what I know, seems to have modules geared specifically towards counselling, and when I went to an open day at a uni offering it, they mentioned doing roleplaying as if you're in a counselling session, so if you're certain you wanna do clinical, opt for single honours Psychology
jt0613
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by bfg2001)
Hey! My best friend wants to go into clinical psych, and has taken Psychology. Psychology and counselling, from what I know, seems to have modules geared specifically towards counselling, and when I went to an open day at a uni offering it, they mentioned doing roleplaying as if you're in a counselling session, so if you're certain you wanna do clinical, opt for single honours Psychology
Thank you! This helped a lot, I think I'll just take the psychology course, I wish your friend well!
Arden University
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi there,

My advice for you would maybe to go down more of a wider route to begin with, as you can specify your studies later down the line. For me, I am currently doing a degree in Criminology and Psychology as I knew these areas interested me but I wasn't 100% sure of the career path I wanted to go down. Since I have been doing my degree I have found that I am more interested in the Psychology side of things, looking to go down a cognitive neuroscience route! I think me choosing a wider subject at the beginning really helped me to learn all the areas and see what it was that interested me and what didn't.

Both options you are thinking about are valid, and if you did decide on something different later down the line it wouldn't be too much of an inconvenience as you would still have psychology knowledge (and there are many conversion courses out there!) but maybe just doing a psychology degree would help you to focus on what it is you really are looking to go into!

Hope this helps

Toni,
Student Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (226)
55.67%
I don't have everything I need (180)
44.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed