Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Which is better from the above two?
stereotypeasian
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
better in what sense ?

what are your opinions ? what are you interested in ? have you had any conversations/work experience with people in those fields of work or currently studying these courses in uni ?
salma_51999
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
(Original post by stereotypeasian)
better in what sense ?

what are your opinions ? what are you interested in ? have you had any conversations/work experience with people in those fields of work or currently studying these courses in uni ?
I'm more inclined to optometry, but the Universities i've applied for either offer optometry or orthoptics (I want to stay at home so I chose universities close to me). So, I just wanted to know if there's a huge difference between the two.
I love anything related to the eye.
Maria__rx
Badges: 1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by salma_51999)
I'm more inclined to optometry, but the Universities i've applied for either offer optometry or orthoptics (I want to stay at home so I chose universities close to me). So, I just wanted to know if there's a huge difference between the two.
I love anything related to the eye.
Hi, im currently applying for both courses too. If you type in orthoptics in the search bar on here youll find a lot of recent threads but as an overview, orthoptics is more biology based looking at diseases and treatment of the eye whereas optometry is more the examination of the eye and more physics based. orthoptists also work in the NHS whereas optometrists work in places like Specsavers or Boots. This thread might give you more info https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6588018
salma_51999
Rep:
?
(Original post by Maria__rx)
Hi, im currently applying for both courses too. If you type in orthoptics in the search bar on here youll find a lot of recent threads but as an overview, orthoptics is more biology based looking at diseases and treatment of the eye whereas optometry is more the examination of the eye and more physics based. orthoptists also work in the NHS whereas optometrists work in places like Specsavers or Boots. This thread might give you more info https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6588018
Thank You so much!
Good luck with your application x
University of Sheffield Students
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by salma_51999)
Which is better from the above two?
(Original post by Maria__rx)
Hi Salma!

I'm a current Orthoptics student at the Uni of Sheffield ! I found myself in a similar position a couple years back trying to decide between the two. From my experience there is no 'better' course it 100% comes down to personal preference. I recommend looking into the modules for each of the courses and seeing what catches your interest more. Like Maria has said here, Optometry is more physics based whereas I would say Orthoptics is more Biology based, there is some overlap between the two courses also so by looking at the modules you can figure which are part of both courses too. Maria has also linked to a really useful thread, I have posted a lot on this thread responding to queries regarding Orthoptics so could be a really good place to start to answer any questions. If you have any more questions that I haven't covered on that thread feel free to ask me on here

Hope this helps you out! Best of luck with your applications.

Alisha
2nd Year
BMedSci Orthoptics
salma_51999
Rep:
?
Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (289)
55.79%
I don't have everything I need (229)
44.21%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise