zarahh09
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Discuss at least two factors that have been shown to affect conformity. (16 marks)

Can someone help me create an essay plan for this question, please?
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hello

Brainstorm some factors that affect conformity. Make a list and also notes as well. Read beyond the lines. Find a variety of articles etc. Good luck to you. Research carefully. Use only trustworthy sources however. Write it all down on a plain sheet of paper or type it up on a laptop.
Pichi
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm guessing you'd have to explain those two factors (like task difficulty or location) and their effect on conformity and then use some evidence i.e. Asch's variations and results from those variations.
anon033
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Discuss is outline and evaluation. AO1 - 6 marks, AO3 - 10 marks.
So choose your factors, apply then to Asch's study or the Jenness jellybean study and evaluate them. Link it back to the question in every point you make.
It says at least 2, so only do 2
tinygirl96
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Develop them however. Extend and elaborate.
zarahh09
Rep:
?
(Original post by anon033)
Discuss is outline and evaluation. AO1 - 6 marks, AO3 - 10 marks.
So choose your factors, apply then to Asch's study or the Jenness jellybean study and evaluate them. Link it back to the question in every point you make.
It says at least 2, so only do 2
Yes I have chosen my two factors for Asch's study but I just don't know how to link it back to the question

Group size:
• Asch carried out many variations to determine how the size of the majority, affects the rate of conformity. Adding any more confederates made little difference. This demonstrates that conformity reaches its highest level with just three confederates.

Difficulty of task:
• Asch made the line-judging task harder by making the stimulus line and the comparison lines more similar in length. He found that the rate of conformity increased. Conformity increased when the task was more difficult. This is because of informational social influence.
Last edited by zarahh09; 1 week ago
anon033
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ultrawaters982)
Yes I have chosen my two factors for Asch's study but I just don't know how to link it back to the question

Group size:
• Asch carried out many variations to determine how the size of the majority, affects the rate of conformity. Adding any more confederates made little difference. This demonstrates that conformity reaches its highest level with just three confederates.

Difficulty of task:
• Asch made the line-judging task harder by making the stimulus line and the comparison lines more similar in length. He found that the rate of conformity increased. Conformity increased when the task was more difficult. This is because of informational social influence.
Right, so any specific percentages you could use here? What about the evaluation of this study/data you've given me?
zarahh09
Rep:
?
(Original post by anon033)
Right, so any specific percentages you could use here? What about the evaluation of this study/data you've given me?
If just add few evaluation points, am I good?
anon033
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ultrawaters982)
If just add few evaluation points, am I good?
How I'd plan this answer:
- What conformity is. Say different factors can influence it to link to the question.
- 1st factor - data from Asch study, explain it, maybe mention if it's NSI or ISI.
- eval this point. Eg. limitations of it. Different cultures, different responses. You can't generalise it, ethnocentric, bring in gender etc.
- 2nd factor - data again, maybe use the Jenness jellybean study to mix it up so there's more supporting research. NSI or ISI again.
- eval this point. Eg demand characteristics or mundane realism. Or on the flip side, the practical application.
- Then I'd summarise what I'd said, link to the question, and that's it.

Use the PEEL structure. Point, example, evidence and link to question. Hope this helped!
tinygirl96
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This is how I would do it
Use the PEE technique for starters. State how different factors can influence conformity and why. Link back to the question. Quote some relevant data from the case study and expand on it. Mention what type of data it is as well. This could be your first paragraph. Your second part of the essay could focus on the different cultures etc in addition. Evaluate the impact and limitations of the point. Use data again, a different case study this time. Again use quotes to defend your arguments and build up on your essay.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (128)
28.26%
No - I have already returned home (62)
13.69%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (88)
19.43%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (42)
9.27%
No - I live at home during term anyway (133)
29.36%

Watched Threads