The Student Room Group

How would you handle housemates breaking lockdown rules?

I live with 3 other students in a houseshare (all in the 20-22 age range), and get on with them all really well. I'm normally very sociable, but tonight I said no to coming out with them to their friends' house - it sounds like there'll be about 15 people there in total!

Two of them have just finished self-isolation due to getting covid from a party of about 60+ people they went to (apparently it wasn't meant to get that huge and they were a bit annoyed). The third is actually finishing his self-isolation a couple hours early (illegally) to go!! I would say their behavior doesn't affect me, but if they catch anything again and I have to stay indoors for ANOTHER 2 weeks...!! I don't understand how they can go to these events without being scared to death. My uni isn't afraid to outright expel students who do this!

Like I said, I get on really well with them and didn't want to cause any new hostilities over this. I'm just curious as to what others in this situation have done, and if I'm being too complacent about the whole thing...
Original post by Anonymous
I live with 3 other students in a houseshare (all in the 20-22 age range), and get on with them all really well. I'm normally very sociable, but tonight I said no to coming out with them to their friends' house - it sounds like there'll be about 15 people there in total!

Two of them have just finished self-isolation due to getting covid from a party of about 60+ people they went to (apparently it wasn't meant to get that huge and they were a bit annoyed). The third is actually finishing his self-isolation a couple hours early (illegally) to go!! I would say their behavior doesn't affect me, but if they catch anything again and I have to stay indoors for ANOTHER 2 weeks...!! I don't understand how they can go to these events without being scared to death. My uni isn't afraid to outright expel students who do this!

Like I said, I get on really well with them and didn't want to cause any new hostilities over this. I'm just curious as to what others in this situation have done, and if I'm being too complacent about the whole thing...

They arent going to listen to you and if you say anything they will fall out big time.
If you know where the party is you could leave a tip off.
Hopefully they will be caught.

I would be furious if they brough an infection back and stopped me going home for Christmas.
Probably best to get out as soon as you can.
If I was at uni, I'd go to the party. Get it caught, get better and be ok for xmas. Enjoy uni.
Reply 3
Original post by Apachecow
If I was at uni, I'd go to the party. Get it caught, get better and be ok for xmas. Enjoy uni.

Haha - no thanks! I've already done 2 weeks in self-isolation due to my housemates testing positive before.
Don't be a snitch
Report them
Reply 6
I would make your views clear and follow the rules yourself. For me reporting to uni or police would need a lot of provocation and be a last resort. It would cause a lot of bad feeling, everyone seems to have their own interpretation including the government and I wouldn’t trust the authorities to do anything sensible anyway.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous

In an ideal world I'd tell you to raise your concerns with them maturely, but that would bank on them being mature and rational. Assuming they're anything like the average teenager, raising your concerns with them directly would only make you fall out with them and possibly ruin the social dynamics of your household.

If they're going to a party, and you know where it is, you could report it. This depends on your opinion. Some people think reporting people for breaking lockdown rules is reasonable; other reasonable people think that being a snitch is immoral and sets a concerning precedent. I'm more of the view that being a snitch is not a good thing, but you have to make that decision for yourself.
dont be a snitch or thats all theyll remember you for from uni
Confront them and tell them what they are doing is putting others at risk you can't just say nothing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending