The Student Room Group

University Choices

Hi,

Basically, I was sure on my uni choices up until about this morning when I was about to send off my application. I’m applying for psychology and am predicted ABB. Also, I did pretty *****y (but still passed all of them) in my GCSEs.

That brings me to my overall question. I know i’m applying to Kent, Swansea, Hull and Portsmouth. However, I was going to put QUB as a choice but i’m getting nervous as i’m unsure about putting somewhere that far away as a choice. I’m from the SW and I do want to move away but i’m not sure what other good uni I could put instead of QUB with my grades if I change it, as it’s starting to seem a bit far.

Any ideas would be amazing, as I’m kind of having a breakdown. Thank you!
(edited 3 years ago)
Apply to your 4 definites for now.

You can add your 5th choice on Track at any point up until January 15 which gives you time to think and research other alternatives to QUB (or get more comfortable with qub again)
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Apply to your 4 definites for now.

You can add your 5th choice on Track at any point up until January 15 which gives you time to think and research other alternatives to QUB (or get more comfortable with qub again)

Omg really?? No one told me that ahaha. Thank you! How did I never know that?? I feel so stupid ahah.
Just make sure you add any extra choice before Jan 15th,
Original post by 1312ACAB
Hi,

Basically, I was sure on my uni choices up until about this morning when I was about to send off my application. I’m applying for psychology and am predicted ABB. Also, I did pretty *****y (but still passed all of them) in my GCSEs.

That brings me to my overall question. I know i’m applying to Kent, Swansea, Hull and Portsmouth. However, I was going to put QUB as a choice but i’m getting nervous as i’m unsure about putting somewhere that far away as a choice. I’m from the SW and I do want to move away but i’m not sure what other good uni I could put instead of QUB with my grades if I change it, as it’s starting to seem a bit far.

Cardiff might be worth a try. Its grades are slightly higher than your predictions but it might be worth looking at as an aspirational choice. Reading is not too far away from the South West possibly Royal Holloway as well. Exeter sometimes offers lower grades for Penryn. That might be worth considering. Hull is a long way away from the South West.
Reply 5
Original post by swanseajack1
Cardiff might be worth a try. Its grades are slightly higher than your predictions but it might be worth looking at as an aspirational choice. Reading is not too far away from the South West possibly Royal Holloway as well. Exeter sometimes offers lower grades for Penryn. That might be worth considering. Hull is a long way away from the South West.

Thank you for your advice! I’ve just been looking at Cardiff and, even though they’re slightly above, I might give it a go! I’ll have another look at Reading, as that one sounds good as well. Thank you!
Thank you for your advice! I’ve just been looking at Cardiff and, even though they’re slightly above, I might give it a go! I’ll have another look at Reading, as that one sounds good as well. Thank you!

The main issue to consider is how far from home you want to be and how you will get back. Cardiff and Reading are easy commutes from the South West. I suppose it depends how far South West you are.

Before lockdown there was a direct hourly train from Bristol Temple Meads to both Cardiff and Portsmouth. If you are coming from further down you would need to connect there. There is an hourly service to Bristol Parkway to Swansea and a half hourly service to Cardiff. Reading is on a direct route from places like Exeter and Bristol.

Kent will be more difficult to get to. You would need to catch a train to Paddington then underground across London and down to Canterbury. I gather he university is fairly close to Canterbury West station rather than Canterbury East.

Hull is quite northerly and isnt on the main line so you would probably need to change trains at York. It will take far longer to get to Kent and Hull than the others.

Maybe this is something you need to look at.
Reply 7
Original post by swanseajack1
The main issue to consider is how far from home you want to be and how you will get back. Cardiff and Reading are easy commutes from the South West. I suppose it depends how far South West you are.

Before lockdown there was a direct hourly train from Bristol Temple Meads to both Cardiff and Portsmouth. If you are coming from further down you would need to connect there. There is an hourly service to Bristol Parkway to Swansea and a half hourly service to Cardiff. Reading is on a direct route from places like Exeter and Bristol.

Kent will be more difficult to get to. You would need to catch a train to Paddington then underground across London and down to Canterbury. I gather he university is fairly close to Canterbury West station rather than Canterbury East.

Hull is quite northerly and isnt on the main line so you would probably need to change trains at York. It will take far longer to get to Kent and Hull than the others.

Maybe this is something you need to look at.

Yes, I have considered this. Out of those, I’m closest to Exeter and have been to Bristol, Cardiff, and London via train. It’s dependant on visiting times and frequency, personally. Thank you again!
Yes, I have considered this. Out of those, I’m closest to Exeter and have been to Bristol, Cardiff, and London via train. It’s dependant on visiting times and frequency, personally. Thank you again!

My son spent 4 years in university in Exeter and then went to Penryn so I understand the difficulties of travelling to and from the South West. Swansea is just over 3 hours by train from Exeter and 2 and 1/2 hours by car and Cardiff is over an hour less. The train from Exeter to London goes through Reading.
Hi,

Hi @1312ACAB

It is great that you are considering Hull as one of your choices to study Psychology. Good luck with the application.

In terms of Hull, I have several friends who come from the south-west (as far as the Cornish-Devon border), and they have loved their time here.

If you have any questions about what it is like to be a student at the University, we have our Ask a Student Page available on our website where you can ask a recent psychology graduate Chloe - as well as any of our other students- about their experience of studying - https://www.hull.ac.uk/study/ask-a-student

If you have any questions, please ask us as we are happy to help

Emily
University of Hull Student Representative
Original post by Uni of Hull Students
Hi @1312ACAB

It is great that you are considering Hull as one of your choices to study Psychology. Good luck with the application.

In terms of Hull, I have several friends who come from the south-west (as far as the Cornish-Devon border), and they have loved their time here.

If you have any questions about what it is like to be a student at the University, we have our Ask a Student Page available on our website where you can ask a recent psychology graduate Chloe - as well as any of our other students- about their experience of studying - https://www.hull.ac.uk/study/ask-a-student

If you have any questions, please ask us as we are happy to help

Emily
University of Hull Student Representative

I have just done a quick check and the journey is nearly 6 hours so it is something OP will need to consider.
Hi,

Hi there! Just wanted to say good luck and its great that you have applied to UKC- as a student, I really like it here : )
Reply 12
Original post by StudentRep Canterbury
Hi there! Just wanted to say good luck and its great that you have applied to UKC- as a student, I really like it here : )

Thank you! If I am accepted, I hope to enjoy it as much a you!

Quick Reply

Latest