lane_in_pain
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Why does increase in coordination number mean increase of solubility? Is it something to do with bonds releasing energy to form??- I don't get it-

thank you
Samira Miah
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Okay so I'm actually a GCSE student so I'm not up to explaining the detail (mainly because I have no idea whatsoever! xD) but:
Co-ordination number means the number of atoms bonded to an atom- so like in a covalent bond.
One of the factors of solubility is 'Common-Ion effect'- when one component in the solute (coordination number) is also in the solvent.
The more coordination number means more atoms --> more atoms added to the solution --> increase in solubility as there is more of the solute as they are in the solvent too, which makes the solution. (I think? Hope that helps )
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by lane_in_pain)
Why does increase in coordination number mean increase of solubility? Is it something to do with bonds releasing energy to form??- I don't get it-

thank you
For myself I explain it in that way: coordinations numbers show you, how many ligands (ions) are around the central ion as a bond. So the higher the coordination number, the more ligands are bonded to a central ion what means in turn the more of those ligands can be solved in solution until the satruation is done.
Last edited by Kallisto; 5 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (622)
33.73%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (776)
42.08%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.74%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads