The Student Room Group

What is available in clearing?

just wandering if you can get into the top universities (top 20 in uk) through clearing or would only the lower universities be available
It depends on what course you want to do. Some courses are so popular they aren’t available through clearing. However it may be that top universities are less likely to have places through clearing, as more people want to go to them. On the other hand, top universities normally want higher grades, so it depends really
Original post by adoneill521
just wandering if you can get into the top universities (top 20 in uk) through clearing or would only the lower universities be available

It varies between universities and subjects. Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, UCL, Durham, and St Andrews dont have spaces usually in clearing. Others do but not for every subjects and it is different between universities.
There was not a lot in clearing last year, some unis have reserve lists and people get lucky from those. You can usually find a lot that is not medicine related.
Reply 4
So could I get into a good uni through a less popular/undersubscribed course and transfer to one I want to do once I am there?
So could I get into a good uni through a less popular/undersubscribed course and transfer to one I want to do once I am there?

Get in? Yes. Transfer? Much less likely although technically possible.

Don't start any course you wouldn't be prepared to finish.

Universities aren’t stupid. If a course is full then clearing for a different course isn’t some secret back door. You’ll just waste a year of finance and have to restart in first year at best (or be told to reapply through ucas or just a straight “no room for you” at worst)

Quick Reply

Latest