rach0
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I’m struggling to find anywhere that will take me on for a month long placement next year for my degree. I am studying psychology. Does anyone have any ideas?
username5161354
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
what sort of placement are you looking for? off the top of my head, maybe try the NHS, CAMHS or Mind if going in a therapist direction. Maybe a school placement?
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Care home
Hospital
Lord Asriel
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I get requests like this a lot and people don't understand why we don't take them up on the offer.

Any meaningful, worthwhile placement with a legitimate organisation takes a lot of effort and resources. To join my clinical service, I have to make sure someone is DBS checked, block out half a day for induction, find them a space in the clinic and also spend time training them up. Understandably, most undergrads or sixth formers don't have any clinical skills that help the team and most patients don't take kindly to have unqualified strangers sit in on their therapy sessions. They can't work autonomously and need to be closely supervised (which takes up time I can be spending with patients).

If you have a large enough time scale this can be worthwhile, as there is time to train people up and make use of them. That is why our undergraduate placements are all 1 year long and through a university (which does the DBS checks, oversight and screening for us). That said, I know some unscrupulous teams do take on psychology students and just make them do endless photocopying, filing and other tasks that don't skill up the student in any way, but saves them money on hiring a temp.

In any branch of applied psychology (clinical, forensic, education) there is relatively little that you will learn in the space of a month. It may be that in research settings they can use students to do some data collection, do some admin work or proofread drafts, but even that may require some degree of training. I can't think of other meaningful placements that would last a month.
rosaburgees
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Lord Asriel)
I get requests like this a lot and people don't understand why we don't take them up on the offer.

Any meaningful, worthwhile placement with a legitimate organisation takes a lot of effort and resources. To join my clinical service, I have to make sure someone is DBS checked, block out half a day for induction, find them a space in the clinic and also spend time training them up. Understandably, most undergrads or sixth formers don't have any clinical skills that help the team and most patients don't take kindly to have unqualified strangers sit in on their therapy sessions. They can't work autonomously and need to be closely supervised (which takes up time I can be spending with patients).

If you have a large enough time scale this can be worthwhile, as there is time to train people up and make use of them. That is why our undergraduate placements are all 1 year long and through a university (which does the DBS checks, oversight and screening for us). That said, I know some unscrupulous teams do take on psychology students and just make them do endless photocopying, filing and other tasks that don't skill up the student in any way, but saves them money on hiring a temp.

In any branch of applied psychology (clinical, forensic, education) there is relatively little that you will learn in the space of a month. It may be that in research settings they can use students to do some data collection, do some admin work or proofread drafts, but even that may require some degree of training. I can't think of other meaningful placements that would last a month.
do you have any advice on finding a year long placement. I am a second year pscyh student at uni of Sheffield and very interested in doing a placement next year but my uni expects us to find it ourselves and I haven't had much luck finding anything relevant enough to my degree for it to be accepted by the uni. unfortunately volunteering for a year is not financially feasible for me. If you have any advice I would be extremely grateful.
Lord Asriel
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by rosaburgees)
do you have any advice on finding a year long placement. I am a second year pscyh student at uni of Sheffield and very interested in doing a placement next year but my uni expects us to find it ourselves and I haven't had much luck finding anything relevant enough to my degree for it to be accepted by the uni. unfortunately volunteering for a year is not financially feasible for me. If you have any advice I would be extremely grateful.
Most NHS clinical placements tend not to be paid (and still fiecely contested over), so if you absolutely need payment to survive, it may have to be a non clinical area of psychology.

You may be better getting paid non-psychology support work in a mental health environment/ hospital like HCA or support worker, but you won't have much supervision or contact with working psychologists unless you scope this out in advance.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (215)
56.88%
I don't have everything I need (163)
43.12%

Watched Threads