p3 circles Watch

This discussion is closed.
topdude
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
how do u work out the equation of a circle, by knowing 3 points that go through it? The points are (2,0) (8,0) and (5,9)
Bill.L
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
suppose the eq is x^2+y^2+ex+fy+c=0, substituting all poins into it, solve e,f,c
El Stevo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
those points are an isosceles triangle...

edit: got it!

work out the angle at the top of it, double it. you then have two points, two radii, angle at the centre and the distance between the two points, so you cna work out the radius, with which you can work out the equation... i'll rig a diagram up in paint to show you if you don't understand this...
topdude
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bill.L)
suppose the eq is x^2+y^2+ex+fx+c=0, substituting all poins into it, solve e,f,c
id love 2 say that i can work with that, but i end up gettin it wrong
john !!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
or you can form a triangle from the three points, find the perpendicular bisector of two of the edges and solve where they meet to find the centre. the radius will be the distance from this point to any of the vertices.

this method only uses coordinate geometry and is incredibly boring. do the above method if you can solve 3 simultaneous equations (and can complete the square). only remember that f should be the coefficient of y, not x.
Bill.L
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
sorry i just typed wrong, but i have changed
topdude
Rep:
?
(Original post by El Stevo)
those points are an isosceles triangle...

edit: got it!

work out the angle at the top of it, double it. you then have two points, two radii, angle at the centre and the distance between the two points, so you cna work out the radius, with which you can work out the equation... i'll rig a diagram up in paint to show you if you don't understand this...
i didnt even read ur 1 till just now......yea i get it now....thank u
lgs98jonee
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by topdude)
how do u work out the equation of a circle, by knowing 3 points that go through it? The points are (2,0) (8,0) and (5,9)
for 1 point, you could notice that (2,0) and (8,0) are directly across from one another. this means that the x coordiante of the centre is going to be 5. this is due to the circle's symmetry.

equation of circle in (x-a)^2+(y-b)^2=r^2
where a,b is circle's centre and r=radius. anyway, notice the fact that two points have the same x or y coordinate can help you to find circle's centre more easily. :creep:
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?