Not invited for Interview Cambridge

Watch
FerlockX
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
India CBSE applicant
Class 10 : A1,A1,A2,A2,B1 in Maths,Science, SocialScience, English and Sanskrit (sad ik)
Class 12 : A1 A1 A1 A1 A1 predicted in Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Computer Science and English

In addition to this I’ve been very active in Kaggle competitions which attract people from all levels ( undergrad, professionals, academics) for data science and AI projects and I have fairly good positions on several as I have mentioned in my PS and scientific conference associated competitions (NeurIPS, ECCV, etc very popular cs conferences) as well.
Also I have a good score on INOI second stage in India for International Olympiad in Informatics

Applying to Trinity, Cambridge(maths), St. Andrews ( maths), ucl (cs), imperial( cs +math), Edinburgh (cs)

Any idea what my chances for Cambridge might be?

Submitting the Application with these didnt even earn me an interview at trinity what what so wrong with my application? Are there people so much better than me or has a wrong/unfair decision been made by the administration I really need and appreciate all help at this point. Cambridge was a very prominent option for me and now idk what. I will me more cautious with my US apps please give your opinions on how to improve
Last edited by FerlockX; 1 month ago
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by FerlockX)
India CBSE applicant
Class 10 : A1,A1,A2,A2,B1 in Maths,Science, SocialScience, English and Sanskrit (sad ik)
Class 12 : A1 A1 A1 A1 A1 predicted in Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Computer Science and English

In addition to this I’ve been very active in Kaggle competitions which attract people from all levels ( undergrad, professionals, academics) for data science and AI projects and I have fairly good positions on several as I have mentioned in my PS and scientific conference associated competitions (NeurIPS, ECCV, etc very popular cs conferences) as well.
Also I have a good score on INOI second stage in India for International Olympiad in Informatics

Applying to Trinity, Cambridge(maths), St. Andrews ( maths), ucl (cs), imperial( cs +math), Edinburgh (cs)

Submitting the Application with these didnt even earn me an interview at trinity what what so wrong with my application? Are there people so much better than me or has a wrong/unfair decision been made by the administration I really need and appreciate all help at this point. Cambridge was a very prominent option for me and now idk what. I will me more cautious with my US apps please give your opinions on how to improve
given that some of your university applications were for Computer Science I am guessing your UCAS Personal Statement focused heavily on CompSci and therefore did not show sufficient exclusivity to maths... causing Cambridge to question your dedication to maths
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by FerlockX)
India CBSE applicant

Cambridge are very clear that you need more than just Class 12 qualifications. That is almost certainly why you were rejected. See:
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/india
FerlockX
Rep:
?
ummm actually the page you are referring to gives qualifications required post receiving an offer which are more or less same for Indian and UK students (they have a-levels,STEP exam after they receive offer and we have CBSE, STEP exams after we receive offer). I understand you probably don't know the process cause you probably aren't in high school, but my current qualifications were well up to the mark for receiving an interview. I did find some other responses that seemed viable on this blog tho thanks for taking you time to find that page anyways
Nuttyboi
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Don't worry dude. It is clear that Cambridge does not prefer CBSE applicants.
My predicted scores are exceptionally high.

MATHS: 99/100, ECONOMICS: 97/100, ENGLISH: 97/100, BUSINESS: 99/100, ACCOUNTANCY: 98/100
Moreover, my personal statement and references were very strong.

Statistics suggest that only 1 student from ISC/CBSE got admission in Trinity (2018).
Check it out for yourself:
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...and%20data.pdf

I was super shocked to receive a pre-interview rejection from Pembroke 5 hours ago.

EDIT: I applied for Economics
FerlockX
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nuttyboi)
Don't worry dude. It is clear that Cambridge does not prefer CBSE applicants.
My predicted scores are exceptionally high.

MATHS: 99/100, ECONOMICS: 97/100, ENGLISH: 97/100, BUSINESS: 99/100, ACCOUNTANCY: 98/100
Moreover, my personal statement and references were very strong.

Statistics suggest that only 1 student from ISC/CBSE got admission in Trinity (2018).
Check it out for yourself:
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...and%20data.pdf

I was super shocked to receive a pre-interview rejection from Pembroke 5 hours ago.

EDIT: I applied for Economics
Hi, your grades seem strong but we’re your ECs up to the mark? I don’t really know what the profile of a good econ applicant looks like while still in high school. Like for STEM, I can do independent projects, work with professors, take part in science fairs, Olympiads, and lots of other stuff (robotics for those interested, app designing for tackling societal problems etc). So what is the thing that “separates” you from others ? I suspect that I really should have applied for CS instead and prob would have gotten it but chose math because of the fact that it’s much more diverse in the sub fields it go in depth for
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (20)
13.33%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (41)
27.33%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (62)
41.33%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (23)
15.33%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
2.67%

Watched Threads