help with applying to uni!! predicted grades gone down - economics 2021

Watch
ferinaa4
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
hi i take maths, geography and psychology, i really wanted to do a degree in economics next year but my predicted grades have gone down so much since lockdown
i used to be predicted at least BBB and i was confident i could get at least one A probably in psychology but now im predicted a BCD as i am actually failing maths rn (and so is the rest of my class whoops) im trying really hard to catch up and redeem myself in my jan mocks but i have a new maths teacher this year and i dont think she will predict me above a C :/
even if i do good in my jan mocks, it would be after i send my application right so surely it wont affect how unis see my grades?

really dont know what to do know as the unis i orginally wanted to go to for econ were all AAB/ABB and now im scared im actually gonna get no offers

also im so stressed cause my schools decided we need to do an epq this year and finish most of it by christmas so if anyone has any tips for that pls lol
username5161354
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
first question, have you applied yet?
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by ferinaa4)
hi i take maths, geography and psychology, i really wanted to do a degree in economics next year but my predicted grades have gone down so much since lockdown
i used to be predicted at least BBB and i was confident i could get at least one A probably in psychology but now im predicted a BCD as i am actually failing maths rn (and so is the rest of my class whoops) im trying really hard to catch up and redeem myself in my jan mocks but i have a new maths teacher this year and i dont think she will predict me above a C :/
even if i do good in my jan mocks, it would be after i send my application right so surely it wont affect how unis see my grades?

really dont know what to do know as the unis i orginally wanted to go to for econ were all AAB/ABB and now im scared im actually gonna get no offers

also im so stressed cause my schools decided we need to do an epq this year and finish most of it by christmas so if anyone has any tips for that pls lol
Pick a range of universities including 2 asking the grades around what you are likely to be predicted. It might be a raisk applying to ABB universities but they may make you offers. Even if you get rejected there is extra available in February or you can look into clearing on results day.
ferinaa4
Rep:
?
(Original post by blueberrybowl)
first question, have you applied yet?
nope not yet still writing my personal statement
Laurence00
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
[QUOTE=ferinaa4;92153384]nope not yet still writing my personal
I would strongly advise not going to any of the unis which would accept you with those predicted grades and it doesn’t leave you with many good options I’m afraid. However if you do really well in the actual exams you can do adjustment/clearing and get into a top 20/ Russell group uni.
ferinaa4
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Pick a range of universities including 2 asking the grades around what you are likely to be predicted. It might be a raisk applying to ABB universities but they may make you offers. Even if you get rejected there is extra available in February or you can look into clearing on results day.
what do you mean there will something available in february? sorry lol i have never heard of anything like that but anything that will help me
ferinaa4
Rep:
?
(Original post by Laurence00)
nope not yet still writing my personal
I would strongly advise not going to any of the unis which would accept you with those predicted grades and it doesn’t leave you with many good options I’m afraid. However if you do really well in the actual exams you can do adjustment/clearing and get into a top 20/ Russell group uni.
why, are those unis bad or something? i was definitely thinking of applying to aston which is meant to be good for business and its just under UOB (which i originally wanted to go to) in rankings for econ and its a BCC which contextual which im able to get and i reckon i might be able to get my maths teacher to up my grade to a C
Laurence00
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
why, are those unis bad or something? i was definitely thinking of applying to aston which is meant to be good for business and its just under UOB (which i originally wanted to go to) in rankings for econ and its a BCC which contextual which im able to get and i reckon i might be able to get my maths teacher to up my grade to a C
If you’re eligible for contextual offers then that’s better because you can pick decent universities (Aston is quite good) but looking at the rest of the pack they’re not that great for teaching/graduate prospects, for example wolverhampton and Bournemouth. If I were you I would apply to 3 unis with grades above your predicted (ABB-BBB) and 2 unis which you think you would definitely get an offer
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
what do you mean there will something available in february? sorry lol i have never heard of anything like that but anything that will help me
Every year there is a thing called ucas extra which you can only apply to if you are holding no offers ie you have been rejected by or rejected ALL your offers. You can apply to one university at a time of all the universities having not filled their spaces. In practice every year most courses are in it other than the very top universities and competitive courses like Medicine, Dentistry etc. If you have 5 rejections you can apply to another university and they might accept or reject you and you do this until you get a university that you wish to go to.

https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/a.../extra-choices
ferinaa4
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Every year there is a thing called ucas extra which you can only apply to if you are holding no offers ie you have been rejected by or rejected ALL your offers. You can apply to one university at a time of all the universities having not filled their spaces. In practice every year most courses are in it other than the very top universities and competitive courses like Medicine, Dentistry etc. If you have 5 rejections you can apply to another university and they might accept or reject you and you do this until you get a university that you wish to go to.

https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/a.../extra-choices
Wow never heard of that thanks for telling me 😂let’s hope it don’t get to that
ferinaa4
Rep:
?
(Original post by Laurence00)
If you’re eligible for contextual offers then that’s better because you can pick decent universities (Aston is quite good) but looking at the rest of the pack they’re not that great for teaching/graduate prospects, for example wolverhampton and Bournemouth. If I were you I would apply to 3 unis with grades above your predicted (ABB-BBB) and 2 unis which you think you would definitely get an offer
Okk yeah I reckon I’ll do that thank you 😁 do u know if Essex is any good for economics
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago

Tell your school you are NOT prepared to do an EPQ as you need to be concentrating on your A levels - they can’t make you.

I would apply to any Unis that interest you at around the Aston level and then hope to do better than predicted in the exams. If that happens you can trade up in Adjustment or Clearing, if you feel you want to at that stage.
If you are really failing at Maths I would also rethink studying Economics as that degree is very mathematical in content. At least have a think about switching to something like Business instead
ferinaa4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
Tell your school you are NOT prepared to do an EPQ as you need to be concentrating on your A levels - they can’t make you.

I would apply to any Unis that interest you at around the Aston level and then hope to do better than predicted in the exams. If that happens you can trade up in Adjustment or Clearing, if you feel you want to at that stage.
If you are really failing at Maths I would also rethink studying Economics as that degree is very mathematical in content. At least have a think about switching to something like Business instead
I’ve already tried asking and they’re adamant about me taking it unfortunately 😐 I’m just thinking to quickly write the essay next week or smthg so I can focus on my subjects. I was also thinking about doing smthg like international business/relations instead of economics or something combined but I can’t decide ffs and my personal statement needs to be done soon 😭😭basically this year is going too quick and I’m a bit indesisive
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I’ve already tried asking and they’re adamant about me taking it unfortunately 😐 I’m just thinking to quickly write the essay next week or smthg so I can focus on my subjects. I was also thinking about doing smthg like international business/relations instead of economics or something combined but I can’t decide ffs and my personal statement needs to be done soon 😭😭basically this year is going too quick and I’m a bit indesisive
I think that's terrible they are putting pressure on you re the EPQ - it should be your decision.

I personally would switch to something like Business or International Relations since if you are struggling with maths now it will only get harder at uni on an Economics degree.

Remember you don't have to apply to uni this year, you could take a gap year and reapply after you have your A level results.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Get your parents involved and tell your school that you are not taking it. If they still insist just write a load of rubbish. They will get the message. As harrysbar has said it should be your choice in what you take. Schools in particular grammar or private schools push students to take extra exams in order to make the school look good and have a higher average ucas points score. The only benefit to taking an EPQ is that some universities will reduce your offer by 1 grade. It is a big bug bear of mine that schools put their own interest before their students. The same thing happens in Wales where students are required to take the Welsh Bacc when many shouldnt be.

Just so you know there isnt actually a deadline of 15 January whatever your school tells you. That is only the date that universities have to give students equal consideration. In practice, nearly all courses at the grade that you are looking at will make you offers after that rate. It is a bit of a risk but in practice it wont really affect you. If it was somewhere like Imperial or Durham it might affect you but most BBB universities will have places.

When you make your application is up to you not your school. Their only issue is giving you the reference.

I would think strongly whether Economics is the right course for you. There are a number of universities that accept students for Economics without A level Maths and some BA Economics courses are less mathematical than BSc ones. If you decide you want to take Economics look more closely into the Maths element.

Aberystwyth has a Bsc Economics course with ucas tariff 120-96. The only Maths requirement is grade 4 or C GCSE so is the kind of course worth looking at.

Keele has an offer ranging from ABC to CCC with grade 6 in GCSE Maths.

Kent has a requirement of ABB-BBB requiring grade 6 or B in GCSE Maths. They tend to be quite flexible so might be worth looking into.

These are just a few options but think whether you want to take an Economics course or something less mathematical like Politics and Industrial Relations.

Finally as already said you can apply with your grades in August or apply now and use Adjustment if your grades are better.
StudentRep Canterbury
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Hello, I am student at Kent and I know exactly how it feels when your teacher does not give you the grades you desire and know you can do better. In order for me to try and get my predicted grades increased I had to prove it through, getting my teachers to mark my essays and past papers regularly so that they could see my improvements, by the time I had consistently shown them that I could achieve the predicted grade I desired they accepted increasing my predicted grade to BBB. So, it is worth asking your teachers, what can you do for them to increase your grades. This is how I got an offer from the university of Kent at the time, for your course the predicted grade is ABB-BBB: https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/under.../109/economics so you have a chance. Remember some universities know that even if you have not been predicted the grades they require, if they like your application as a whole, your personal statement, your references they could be inclined to offer you a place. I would recommend applying to one uni above your predicted grades, three that are the same and one below, as you'll be more likely to get offers to the university you choose. Also, if you overachieve by the end of the year you could still apply for university of your choice through adjustment once you receive your grades.
Elise_adventures
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Mine said I had to do one, I didn't do one. Get your guardian to speak to the school any competent teacher will see that taking time away from your studies when you want to raise your grades is not the best idea. I agree with what was said above, you will need to look properly into the economics course you want to do. Some have more maths than others, mine has a lot of maths and those who don't like maths struggle. You may want to re-look at courses. If it is the business side you think you will enjoy then look at your original universities and see what business courses they offer. Business is not the same as economics especially in terms of maths content.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (589)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.5%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
20%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.55%

Watched Threads