Hey9999
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Dear guys, I have a few questions to ask. I feel I am in a difficult situation.

I am in year 3 MBBS degree and I am not enjoying it to the point that I am daily googling things about people who left medicine and how they regretted medicine. Every time when I go to hospital placement I call my mom and cry how I hate my life and write numerous texts how I want to quit.

I feel that I made the wrong choice. I feel that I am wasting my time , health and money on something that I do not want to do in my life.

I got 5 A*s.
My question is if I apply for something I really like or imagine myself doing, would unis look at my A level grades or my MBBS grades?

I felt I ruined my chances with the depression since I failed countless of time. Not only because of depression but also because of my anorexia.
Should I mention that in my personal statement?
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Hey9999)
Dear guys, I have a few questions to ask. I feel I am in a difficult situation.

I am in year 3 MBBS degree and I am not enjoying it to the point that I am daily googling things about people who left medicine and how they regretted medicine. Every time when I go to hospital placement I call my mom and cry how I hate my life and write numerous texts how I want to quit.

I feel that I made the wrong choice. I feel that I am wasting my time , health and money on something that I do not want to do in my life.

I got 5 A*s.
My question is if I apply for something I really like or imagine myself doing, would unis look at my A level grades or my MBBS grades?

I felt I ruined my chances with the depression since I failed countless of time. Not only because of depression but also because of my anorexia.
Should I mention that in my personal statement?
I am sorry to hear of your situation.

First things first, have you spoken to the medical school?
Hey9999
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
I am sorry to hear of your situation.

First things first, have you spoken to the medical school?
Yes, I have. They either send me to the occupational health therapist or tell me to finish after 3 or 4 years and get a BSc in Medical science (I think so). But I do not think that I would like that. I would rather finish and have MBBS which maybe help me a tiny bit more in the future while looking for any kind of job . But at the same time I feel I just want to quit and go into another (unrelated ) field and do what I always wanted to instead of wasting my time.

Thanks for your reply btw
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes, I have. They either send me to the occupational health therapist or tell me to finish after 3 or 4 years and get a BSc in Medical science (I think so). But I do not think that I would like that. I would rather finish and have MBBS which maybe help me a tiny bit more in the future while looking for any kind of job . But at the same time I feel I just want to quit and go into another (unrelated ) field and do what I always wanted to instead of wasting my time.

Thanks for your reply btw
No problem, I hope you're feeling better soon. Have you seen the Occupational Health person? I take it they're not helping.

The MBBS will indeed be very versatile; it depends on where (and what course) you're applying after graduation as to whether they will look at your A-Level / GCSEs.

If you are thinking of finishing your MBBS, why worry about your personal statement now? Surely you have a year or two before applying?
Hey9999
Rep:
?
No problem, I hope you're feeling better soon. Have you seen the Occupational Health person? I take it they're not helping.

The MBBS will indeed be very versatile; it depends on where (and what course) you're applying after graduation as to whether they will look at your A-Level / GCSEs.

If you are thinking of finishing your MBBS, why worry about your personal statement now? Surely you have a year or two before applying?
OH therapist was just asking about my anorexia.
After MBBS I would not be able to apply for Master's degree unfortunately since they require me to have different kind of knowledge. So it means I would need to start another BSc degree.
I was thinking maybe it would be better just to finish now if I am really planning to do another degree instead of wasting my time now?
I am just very lost and confused.
Some ppl say MBBS is good to have
but at the same time others tell me that MBBS is not useful at all if I want to work in maths related field at all and suggest me to drop out now.
Hey9999
Rep:
?
Honestly, I am just tired of people asking me why I did MBBS if I do not like it. Well how else I could know this if I did not try? Eh....
I never thought that due to my terrible disorder I will fail and fail and fail and end up at the bottom of all the students....
I appreciate who ever reads this and finds time to reply here. Thank you
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Honestly, I am just tired of people asking me why I did MBBS if I do not like it. Well how else I could know this if I did not try? Eh....
I did not ask it - but can envisage that it can be very annoying.

I never thought that due to my terrible disorder I will fail and fail and fail and end up at the bottom of all the students....
How is your progress so far? Are you failing the course?

OH therapist was just asking about my anorexia.
After MBBS I would not be able to apply for Master's degree unfortunately since they require me to have different kind of knowledge. So it means I would need to start another BSc degree.
I was thinking maybe it would be better just to finish now if I am really planning to do another degree instead of wasting my time now?
I am just very lost and confused.
Some ppl say MBBS is good to have
but at the same time others tell me that MBBS is not useful at all if I want to work in maths related field at all and suggest me to drop out now.
It really depends, and only you / your advisers can say.

You may well get a biased answer here on TSR where a lot of us a doctors and medical students.

I suspect the consensus will be "continue" but your mental health should be the top priority. If you can't carry on then there's no point in considering how the MBBS will be useful in the future.

I don't know who said that you couldn't do an MSc after MBBS, because you definitely can (some people even do an intercalated Masters / PhD). Talking about interecalation, have you considered that? Or taking a year out to recuperate?
Hey9999
Rep:
?
I did not ask it - but can envisage that it can be very annoying.

How is your progress so far? Are you failing the course?

It really depends, and only you / your advisers can say.

You may well get a biased answer here on TSR where a lot of us a doctors and medical students.

I suspect the consensus will be "continue" but your mental health should be the top priority. If you can't carry on then there's no point in considering how the MBBS will be useful in the future.

I don't know who said that you couldn't do an MSc after MBBS, because you definitely can (some people even do an intercalated Masters / PhD). Talking about interecalation, have you considered that? Or taking a year out to recuperate?
Yes, I thought about it.
My situation is not the best. I believe that I will ruin all my chances to get intercalated degree since I failed :
my second year finals ( due to my Eating disorder)
my resits (again eating disorder)
my finals after 1 year of retaking the year at home not at uni (eating disorder)
Then I passed second attempt (free from eating disorder)

Failed third year (OSCEs exam 1 station) (free from eating disorder)
Retaking the year now

I am fine with ED but I have a huge depression.
I believe I can only do another BSc because I have good A level grades but I ruined my medical school grades.....so no vision for MAster's degree.
That is why I am considering doing just another BSc.....that would be probably logical
Last edited by Hey9999; 1 week ago
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
...I fine with ED but I have a huge depression.
I believe I can only do another BSc because I have good A grades but I ruined my medical school grades.....so no vision for MAster's
It sounds like you're having a tough time.

If you leave the course now, did the med school say if they'll give you a "medical science" degree (or equivalent)?

P.S. After you have an MBBS (which does not have classification, usually - just a "Pass" or "Honours") you will definitely be eligible to study Masters in a related field.
Hey9999
Rep:
?
It sounds like you're having a tough time.

If you leave the course now, did the med school say if they'll give you a "medical science" degree (or equivalent)?

P.S. After you have an MBBS (which does not have classification, usually - just a "Pass" or "Honours") you will definitely be eligible to study Masters in a related field.
Thank you ! But what about unrelated field....? :0 I am talking about mathematics/computer science.
And yes they would give me Medical study degree....I do not know much about it tbh.
Last edited by Hey9999; 1 week ago
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thank you ! But what about unrelated field....? :0 I am talking about mathematics/computer science.
Hmm I don't know, why not email and ask the Maths / CompSci department of a random Uni?

And yes they would give me Medical study degree....I do not know much about it tbh.
It's just a generic degree, like a biomed degree in terms of "usefulness".
Hey9999
Rep:
?
Hmm I don't know, why not email and ask the Maths / CompSci department of a random Uni?

It's just a generic degree, like a biomed degree in terms of "usefulness".
Thank you ! It is a great idea to ask them instead of just guessing.
Thanks for your patience while answering everything.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thank you ! It is a great idea to ask them instead of just guessing.
Thanks for your patience while answering everything.
No problem at all. Good luck in whatever you choose to do.
Hey9999
Rep:
?
No problem at all. Good luck in whatever you choose to do.
I just wish that finally everything in my life will be fine.
Health is so important. You really cannot do anything while being ill. I am happy I had those obstacles quite early in life and not now.

Thank you very much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (100)
28.41%
No - I have already returned home (45)
12.78%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (68)
19.32%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (37)
10.51%
No - I live at home during term anyway (102)
28.98%

Watched Threads