The Student Room Group

Chances for CS @ Oxbridge in 2022 & Cambridge or Oxford?

When I was in Y11 (now in Y12), I was keen on doing Math at Uni but spent this summer learning Python and some CS topics and found that I really like CS so now I am thinking strongly of doing CS at Uni perhaps with Maths.

I would like a reality check on my chances at Oxbridge based on my details below. My main concern is that I just recently started CS so whether I can evidence enough passion and co-courriculars in my personal statement

My track record
- I did well in my GCSE with ten "9s" and one A* (additional maths)
- I have selected Maths, FM, Physics and CS for A-Levels and I am currently doing well in all of them so 3 or 4 A*s is within reach
- Just started to take part in Olympiads (BMO & BIO). I don't think I will progress far but I did scrape to the 2nd stage of BMO
- I plan to do an EPQ in a topic such as ML or Quantum Computing and my CS department will support it
- I have a couple of 1-week work experiences doing some vaguely CS related work (one in a fintech and one in a web dev lab)
- I aim to be proficient in Python and some advanced topics such as algorithms and ML by the time I apply for Uni
- I am the chair of my schools Computing Society (there are only 12 CS students in Y12 and only I volunteered :-)
- I have started preparing for STEP (not MAT) as my school has a "STEP club"
- I hope I come across as rounded as I play a sport (squash) and am in my schools debating team and symphonic orchestra. Also a Grade 8 in Piano, Violin and Speech & Drama. But I have heard these simply don't matter at Oxbridge

So from a GCSE and A-Level results perspective, I may hopefully have the right set of results.

I am more worried about my CS background. I simply don't have enough time to do that much in 12 months. I can see some who did get into Oxbridge for CS have had coding as a passion for several years and have coded several projects

So what are my chances for CS?
Is any one of the two Unis any easier than the other to get in?

My other 4 choices may be Imperial, UCL and then 2 of Warwick/Bristol/Bath/Birmingham
(edited 3 years ago)
I do maths and CS at Ox, and I can tell you that maths ability alone is almost sufficient to get in. You certainly have a very good chance of getting in. I know the Oxford Cs course is very maths heavy, so if you are good at maths that's probably easier to get in to
Original post by dexter2134
When I was in Y11 (now in Y12), I was keen on doing Math at Uni but spent this summer learning Python and some CS topics and found that I really like CS so now I am thinking strongly of doing CS at Uni perhaps with Maths.

I would like a reality check on my chances at Oxbridge based on my details below. My main concern is that I just recently started CS so whether I can evidence enough passion and co-courriculars in my personal statement

My track record
- I did well in my GCSE with ten "9s" and one A* (additional maths)
- I have selected Maths, FM, Physics and CS for A-Levels and I am currently doing well in all of them so 3 or 4 A*s is within reach
- Just started to take part in Olympiads (BMO & BIO). I don't think I will progress far but I did scrape to the 2nd stage of BMO
- I plan to do an EPQ in a topic such as ML or Quantum Computing and my CS department will support it
- I have a couple of 1-week work experiences doing some vaguely CS related work (one in a fintech and one in a web dev lab)
- I aim to be proficient in Python and some advanced topics such as algorithms and ML by the time I apply for Uni
- I am the chair of my schools Computing Society (there are only 12 CS students in Y12 and only I volunteered :-)
- I have started preparing for STEP (not MAT) as my school has a "STEP club"
- I hope I come across as rounded as I play a sport (squash) and am in my schools debating team and symphonic orchestra. Also a Grade 8 in Piano, Violin and Speech & Drama. But I have heard these simply don't matter at Oxbridge

So from a GCSE and A-Level results perspective, I may hopefully have the right set of results.

I am more worried about my CS background. I simply don't have enough time to do that much in 12 months. I can see some who did get into Oxbridge for CS have had coding as a passion for several years and have coded several projects

So what are my chances for CS?
Is any one of the two Unis any easier than the other to get in?

My other 4 choices may be Imperial, UCL and then 2 of Warwick/Bristol/Bath/Birmingham

You look like the perfect candidate to get into your courses, your activities are relevant and advanced. Wish you good luck
Reply 3
Original post by Mrepic Foulger
I do maths and CS at Ox, and I can tell you that maths ability alone is almost sufficient to get in. You certainly have a very good chance of getting in. I know the Oxford Cs course is very maths heavy, so if you are good at maths that's probably easier to get in to

Many thanks.

Good to know CS background is not that important for CS entry in Uni. Perhaps I will focus more on Maths.

While I an finding Maths and FS manageable, I am certainly not a Math whiz or anything remotely of that sort. I mostly stick to a-level syllabus with a little extra when prepping for the olympiad and STEP. I will explore the MAT test and see if I should shift to that instead. One issue is that my school is more STEP focussed in terms of support available.
Reply 4
Thank you. Thats good to hear. I was more concerned that I did not have enough CS depth but looks like it may not be needed as much as Maths.
I think people like you have a misconception that CS students are genius programmers who started hacking since the age of 5.
In fact, most undergrads are complete virgins at programming, oxbridge is no exception.
You just need to have the basic computer knowledge to not act like a lost idiot at the interview, the university is there to teach you from scratch.

To be frank, the extracurricular stuff doesn't matter that much, things like passion and enthusiasm can't be quantified, at the end of the day it's the A-level UMS that matters the most.
Reply 6
Original post by AndyChow
I think people like you have a misconception that CS students are genius programmers who started hacking since the age of 5.
In fact, most undergrads are complete virgins at programming, oxbridge is no exception.
You just need to have the basic computer knowledge to not act like a lost idiot at the interview, the university is there to teach you from scratch.

To be frank, the extracurricular stuff doesn't matter that much, things like passion and enthusiasm can't be quantified, at the end of the day it's the A-level UMS that matters the most.

To be honest, that's exactly what I thought and I was spooked. I have seen some who are like that. Coding from when they were in primary school or hacking Raspberry Pi etc.

So this is encouraging to know. Really boosted my confidence. Thanks.
Good chance imo

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending