The Student Room Group

Application advice for an American

I am a prospective student from the United States of America seeking an undergraduate degree in the United Kingdom. Upon reviewing the entry requirements for the degree I wish to pursue, Politics and International Relations at UCL, I found that I need 5 AP exams at scores of a minimum 5,5,5,4, and 4. I have three exams at a 5 score, one more at a four (and eight 3's fml), but I recently learned that my second four score in AP Seminar is not accepted as it is a part of the capstone program. With that considered, should I still apply to the university, or should I seek different options? Obviously the students that worked harder than me deserve the spot more if they have better scores, but are the entry requirements so adamant that this one score would definitively prevent me from being considered?
Good luck
Reply 2
Original post by tinygirl96
Good luck

ty B)
Original post by snow hat
I am a prospective student from the United States of America seeking an undergraduate degree in the United Kingdom. Upon reviewing the entry requirements for the degree I wish to pursue, Politics and International Relations at UCL, I found that I need 5 AP exams at scores of a minimum 5,5,5,4, and 4. I have three exams at a 5 score, one more at a four (and eight 3's fml), but I recently learned that my second four score in AP Seminar is not accepted as it is a part of the capstone program. With that considered, should I still apply to the university, or should I seek different options? Obviously the students that worked harder than me deserve the spot more if they have better scores, but are the entry requirements so adamant that this one score would definitively prevent me from being considered?

If they ask for 5APs and you only have 4 then you can apply but there’s a good chance they’ll reject you.
Could you sit another AP between now and summer 2021?
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
If they ask for 5APs and you only have 4 then you can apply but there’s a good chance they’ll reject you.
Could you sit another AP between now and summer 2021?

That is a good question. Rather than taking a new ap though I would likely retake one of the 8 that I got a three on, hopefully in real life because I felt really uncomfortable taking them online. If I am able to, is it possible that UCL provides me a conditional offer that I sit the exam before the new semester starts? My situation might not warrant a conditional offer though (if I understand what they are properly) as I have already graduated high school, but maybe I could expect it anyway? Or maybe I should ask them?
That is a good question. Rather than taking a new ap though I would likely retake one of the 8 that I got a three on, hopefully in real life because I felt really uncomfortable taking them online. If I am able to, is it possible that UCL provides me a conditional offer that I sit the exam before the new semester starts? My situation might not warrant a conditional offer though (if I understand what they are properly) as I have already graduated high school, but maybe I could expect it anyway? Or maybe I should ask them?

If they ask for 55544 and you have 5554 and a pending result then yes you would be given a conditional offer to get a 4 in the pending AP exam.

most uk applicants apply with their A levels pending results in August (from May/June exams). The majority of offers made by uk universities are conditional offers for those pending results.
Reply 6

As @PQ has stated, UK schools make primarily conditional offers since A-Levels results are released in the summer. Therefore, if you are taking any AP exams in May 2021, make sure to include them on your application!

US recommenders are not accustomed to this , but be sure to ask that score predictions for your AP's are included in your reference letter.
Reply 7
Original post by DYHM8967
As @PQ has stated, UK schools make primarily conditional offers since A-Levels results are released in the summer. Therefore, if you are taking any AP exams in May 2021, make sure to include them on your application!

US recommenders are not accustomed to this , but be sure to ask that score predictions for your AP's are included in your reference letter.

Because I graduated earlier this year I was not intending to take any new AP exams this upcoming May. As a result, should I still expect a conditional offer to be made on the basis that I retake one of these exams? Is there anything I could do to maybe imply that I am willing to retake one of the exams if necessary for my application, even though I am out of school?
Reply 8
Because I graduated earlier this year I was not intending to take any new AP exams this upcoming May. As a result, should I still expect a conditional offer to be made on the basis that I retake one of these exams? Is there anything I could do to maybe imply that I am willing to retake one of the exams if necessary for my application, even though I am out of school?

On UCAS you have the option of indicating that a qualification is still pending (or has yet to be taken), including for AP exams. I think that indicating you intend to take or retake AP exams should allow you to meet the academic requirements for a conditional offer.

Good luck!

If you have not listed a pending qualification needed to meet their typical offer, there is every chance you will just be rejected.

They might contact you to asking if you have any unlisted pending quals, but that is at their discretion. You need to include all the info they might need on the app in the first instance.

If you list it and then get an offer that doesn't require that AP subject, you can contact them and let them know that you won't be taking the additional exam - in 99.99% of cases they'll be fine with this.
Reply 10

They also take subject test scores which are usually easier to do well in?

Quick Reply

Latest