n4dz
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Is there syntactical parallelism in "I looked around. They were standing. All around us." & what other language terminology can be applied to this sentence?
etakate
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I wouldn't call it syntactic parallelism; more like a triad or at a stretch the first two are parallel structures, but that doesn't make much sense in that you have (Pronoun in subject position) (Verb in preterite) (Preposition) in sentence one, and sentence two is (Pronoun in subject position) (Continuous form of English copula "to be" in past imperfect tense) So I suppose you could argue that they're similar syntax initially, but after this there is very little similarity.
You could comment on the double "Around" as "epiphora" (Kinda? It's not exactly syntax finally for both but you could comment on this if you were really lacking.)
The third sentence is a minor sentence because it lacks a verb.
First person singular subject "I", Third person plural subject "they" creates ambiguous feeling; limitation in lack of context, but sure makes for a spooky sentence. First person plural object "Us" (Pronouns). You have the preterite "Looked", imperfect "Were standing" (Tenses). Standard English use and standard typographical manipulation. I suppose orthographically it's likely to be similar as well?
Hope this was useful.
Last edited by etakate; 2 months ago
n4dz
Rep:
?
(Original post by etakate)
I wouldn't call it syntactic parallelism; more like a triad or at a stretch the first two are parallel structures, but that doesn't make much sense in that you have (Pronoun in subject position) (Verb in preterite) (Preposition) in sentence one, and sentence two is (Pronoun in subject position) (Continuous form of English copula "to be" in past imperfect tense) So I suppose you could argue that they're similar syntax initially, but after this there is very little similarity.
You could comment on the double "Around" as "epiphora" (Kinda? It's not exactly syntax finally for both but you could comment on this if you were really lacking.)
First person singular subject "I", Third person plural subject "they" creates ambiguous feeling; limitation in lack of context, but sure makes for a spooky sentence. First person plural object "Us" (Pronouns). You have the preterite "Looked", imperfect "Were standing" (Tenses). Standard English use and standard typographical manipulation. I suppose orthographically it's likely to be similar as well?
Hope this was useful.
Thank you so much this is really useful.
n4dz
Rep:
?
(Original post by n4dz)
Thank you so much this is really useful.
(Original post by etakate)
Hope this was useful.
I was wondering if it would be considered a triplet of minor sentences
etakate
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by n4dz)
I was wondering if it would be considered a triplet of minor sentences
I'm glad it was useful! No, it wouldn't be a triplet of minor sentences. A minor sentence is a sentence without a verb.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (430)
56.58%
I don't have everything I need (330)
43.42%

Watched Threads