The Student Room Group

What percentage would be an A in Edexcel Maths A level?

My school is saying my 80% on a paper is a B grade but I looked online and it said 55% is an A according to the grade boundaries?

Who should I trust on this and what is a grade A for your school?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i do ocr so i couldnt really say for edexcel in particular, but it depends what kind of papers you are doing. if the teachers are making the papers, then i would trust them because the questions may be more simple or easier, but if they are past papers then go with edexcel grade boundaries
Reply 2
Your school is lying to you.
Reply 3
55% was the grade boundary for an A in the 2019 A levels, largely because the paper was quite different to what people were expecting so it caught a lot of people off guard. I imagine the grade boundaries will be higher now that students have more of an idea of what to expect, but 80% for a B is still quite high! I think my school used 90% A*, 80% A, 70% B etc., and that worked out pretty indicative of how people did in the real thing (although we were the 2019 cohort, so that was based on old spec past papers rather than ones for the current spec).
Your school is actually lying to u guys
30%-E
40%-D
50%-C
60%-B
70%-A
80%-A*
Reply 5
Original post by rehena12
30%-E
40%-D
50%-C
60%-B
70%-A
80%-A*

This is total rubbish -where do you make this stuff up from? The grade boundaries are different for every subject and exam board and change with every exam season. For Edexcel A level Maths in 2019:
E - 14.3%
D - 24.3%
C - 34.3%
B - 44.7%
A - 55%
A*- 72.3%
30%-E
40%-D
50%-C
60%-B
70%-A
80%-A*

This is not correct ...
Original post by Aribe
My school is saying my 80% on a paper is a B grade but I looked online and it said 55% is an A according to the grade boundaries?

Was it a full paper?
Original post by Muttley79
This is not correct ...

Yes it is obviously schools don't use the exact grade boundaries from the last year and would usually raise them so students work harder etc. Our maths department has 3 examiners who mark a levels and gcses. I just had mocks and I got 72% and I averaged an A. Also keep in mind your school entry requirements are based on your yet group and how they perform
Original post by Compost
This is total rubbish -where do you make this stuff up from? The grade boundaries are different for every subject and exam board and change with every exam season. For Edexcel A level Maths in 2019:
E - 14.3%
D - 24.3%
C - 34.3%
B - 44.7%
A - 55%
A*- 72.3%

I didn't make it up these are the grade boundaries my school use when doing mocks it's also based on how the year do also most of the time the actual exams grade boundaries are quite low also how are.
Original post by Aribe

It's probably 80% because it's based in how everyone did. So clearly people did well or they might have raised it to make you work harder they always do this
Yes it is obviously schools don't use the exact grade boundaries from the last year and would usually raise them so students work harder etc. Our maths department has 3 examiners who mark a levels and gcses. I just had mocks and I got 72% and I averaged an A. Also keep in mind your school entry requirements are based on your yet group and how they perform

It might be what YOUR school used but I teach Maths and this isn't how grade boundaries are set
Reply 12
It's probably 80% because it's based in how everyone did. So clearly people did well or they might have raised it to make you work harder they always do this

That may be so. It wasn't a full paper but an in class assessment. It's just that that's what the school has expected of us the last 2 years, even in full papers so I thought I was either stupid or misinformed.
It might be what YOUR school used but I teach Maths and this isn't how grade boundaries are set

So do you have any ideas of how the grade boundaries for centre assessments would be ?
Reply 14
I got 58% in my assessments this year. Should this be an A?
Reply 15

Would you say an average score of 58% is an A?
Original post by satsun
Would you say an average score of 58% is an A?

It depends on the paper.
Original post by Kanishka02
So do you have any ideas of how the grade boundaries for centre assessments would be ?

They would probably use the 'real' grade boundaries of the papers they are using. However, its more likely they will use the grade descriptors.
Reply 18
It depends on the paper.

I was told we had a mix of past papers. Obviously you’re not to know what grade my teacher will give me but would you assume that an A could be possible with 58% or is it out of the question.
Original post by satsun
I was told we had a mix of past papers. Obviously you’re not to know what grade my teacher will give me but would you assume that an A could be possible with 58% or is it out of the question.

We are told to use grade descriptors - looks low to me.

Quick Reply

Latest