The Student Room Group

Lockdown in January

I think hopefully we'll go back to tiers on December 2nd but then in January im really scared will go back to lockdown, people I have said this is going to happen. We just need to go back to normal and head to how we were because everyone is sick of being stuck at home and its just one lockdown after another it gets eased then it just comes back and everyone is tired of it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump
Wishful thinking I'm afraid, there's pretty solid reasons why things are not going back to normal, possibly ever.
Reply 3
Original post by StriderHort
Wishful thinking I'm afraid, there's pretty solid reasons why things are not going back to normal, possibly ever.

Things we basically back to normal in July on 2nd apart from the masks
Reply 4
I think the sooner you accept we aren't going to go back to normal until a vaccine can be mass distributed, the better.

Yes it's depressing, but living in false hope that life is getting back to normal in the foreseeable future just makes it even worse.
Original post by Anonymous
Things we basically back to normal in July on 2nd apart from the masks

They were not.

An awful awful lot of people lost their jobs and are still essentially out of work, a lot of business sectors were crippled and remain so. To say nothing of those who are grieving and fighting with longer term symptoms.
I think hopefully we'll go back to tiers on December 2nd but then in January im really scared will go back to lockdown, people I have said this is going to happen. We just need to go back to normal and head to how we were because everyone is sick of being stuck at home and its just one lockdown after another it gets eased then it just comes back and everyone is tired of it.

Yeah, if only young adults will stop obnoxiously hanging out and partying with a large bunch of friends every weekend. I don't care if you disagree but at the moment uni students seem to be the big spreaders of rona in addition to school kids. My girlfriend and I can't meet up because her flatmates at uni keep partying with other households so they all have corona. My parents won't let us meet up after lockdown even if we're socially distanced, so we'll have to tough it up until next Easter or even summer:s-smilie:

It's really quite dissapointing seeing all the people I know from college posting pictures of them partying away when I'm not even allowed to meet up with one friend if we're socially distancing.

I feel so much for the ones who have to shield....I really couldn't imagine having to put up with being alone for so long..!!! If you're shielding and reading this reply - stay strong, we'll get through this! :smile:
Reply 7
They were not.

An awful awful lot of people lost their jobs and are still essentially out of work, a lot of business sectors were crippled and remain so. To say nothing of those who are grieving and fighting with longer term symptoms.

Places was opened though
Reply 8
There's due to be an update on Monday about what will hapoen at the end of this lockdown. It's expected that there will be a return to regional tiers, but with more restrictions than before in each level.
Reply 9
Original post by zKlown
I think the sooner you accept we aren't going to go back to normal until a vaccine can be mass distributed, the better.

Yes it's depressing, but living in false hope that life is getting back to normal in the foreseeable future just makes it even worse.

The government need to just get things back to normal and stop pissing about
Original post by Surnia
There's due to be an update on Monday about what will hapoen at the end of this lockdown. It's expected that there will be a return to regional tiers, but with more restrictions than before in each level.

Seen it, the tier things aren't that bad
Places was opened though

Some did, Many didn't. Many had already folded/closed/dropped staff, many could only open in a very restricted and non profitable way . In fact for many reopening for a few short weeks over the summer actually hurt them more than staying closed would have done, it just drained more of their resources.

Even if a vaccine hits the streets tomorrow, the idea that industries like hospitality, entertainment, travel, or even the labour market in general are going back to 'Normal' any time soon is fantasy. I know a few movers & shakers in the Glasgow club/pub/rest scene, and the vibe is they're pulling their money out and moving to something more profitable.
Some did, Many didn't. Many had already folded/closed/dropped staff, many could only open in a very restricted and non profitable way . In fact for many reopening for a few short weeks over the summer actually hurt them more than staying closed would have done, it just drained more of their resources.

Even if a vaccine hits the streets tomorrow, the idea that industries like hospitality, entertainment, travel, or even the labour market in general are going back to 'Normal' any time soon is fantasy. I know a few movers & shakers in the Glasgow club/pub/rest scene, and the vibe is they're pulling their money out and moving to something more profitable.

I think hopefully things will be better by March
I think hopefully things will be better by March

...Why? What's going to change?
...Why? What's going to change?

I think we will have the same changes as July
Reply 15
Seen it, the tier things aren't that bad

Source? Seeing as they haven't been discussed yet in Parliament and the media is only speculating...
Original post by Surnia
Source? Seeing as they haven't been discussed yet in Parliament and the media is only speculating...

I mean the tiers don't affect me that much
Reply 17
I mean the tiers don't affect me that much

You mean you are ignoring them and going out partying.
I think we will have the same changes as July

..The same ones that I just argued didn't really change much and didn't last long?

Something big to remember, all these families and businesses don't magically regenerate all their cash reserves between lock downs or over the winter, 2020 has drained an awful lot of peoples reserves and in short, many are staring down the barrels of some serious poverty next year and even over the present lockdown. This isn't something the government can suddenly decree 'over', if anything the messages from the Treasury are getting by by necessity more and more frugal.

2021 is going to be nasty for many if not most. Just like the 2008 crash, after the initial shock it took a year or two for the real financial pain to spread to the majority, not just the minority caught in the headlights.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Surnia
You mean you are ignoring them and going out partying.

No I don't do that anyway but in the teirs you could still meet people go pubs get a haircut and stuff

Quick Reply

Latest