andyyy7771
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm currently looking at my university options and I need to do a doctorate to progress into the career path I want. The doctorate is 3 years, and the doctoral loan is only £26,500? That leaves me with £4k a year after tuition fees? How does that work I won't even be able to pay rent? This would put my future career at risk so I need some help please.

Does this stack ontop of pre-existing student loans for example can I continue to receive the £9,000 a year maintenance loan from the government?
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by andyyy7771)
I'm currently looking at my university options and I need to do a doctorate to progress into the career path I want. The doctorate is 3 years, and the doctoral loan is only £26,500? That leaves me with £4k a year after tuition fees? How does that work I won't even be able to pay rent? This would put my future career at risk so I need some help please.

Does this stack ontop of pre-existing student loans for example can I continue to receive the £9,000 a year maintenance loan from the government?
That's right, the doctoral loan is £26,500 for the whole 3 years (if full-time). You will not be entitled to anything else from Student Finance (as there is no separate 'maintenance loan' for doctoral students).

Typically however, people looking to do a PhD take the loan as a last resort, as the typical route is to look for research council funding or university funding/scholarships. This usually consists of a fee waiver and around £15k per year. Competition for funding can be fierce however, so you need to be strong qualifications as a prerequisite for this.

What PhD were you thinking of completing? That way we can advise more specifically.
andyyy7771
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
DClinPsy. I've heard it's super competitive but it's what I want so worth the struggle!
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
DClinPsy. I've heard it's super competitive but it's what I want so worth the struggle!
You should take a look at the ESRC (research council), and do some research into whether there is specific funding for a DClinPsy (which there might be).
Desideri
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
DClinPsy isn't a PhD so the funding options are different. It's normally funded by the NHS, and involves being in paid employment in the NHS as well.

E.g. here's what Leeds has to say about funding for their course: https://www.leeds.ac.uk/chpccp/funding.html
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

No thats all you get. But it is a separate loan with a separate repayment plan to the undergrad one.
Meaning they stack.
So you would pay 9% of everything you earn over £25K + 6% of everything you earn over £21K (for the doctoral loan).
So essentially what you pay back would be £240 + 15% of everything over £25K/year.

On this basis I would really recommend you look into funding options first.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (240)
56.87%
I don't have everything I need (182)
43.13%

Watched Threads