What console are you going to get

Watch
richard10012
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am looking to buy a new console, most of the consoles are over £400, I am undecided. Which ones have the best games coming out? I like games like Mafia, red dead
Afrrcyn
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Do you have a Computer that's able to run games?
username612415
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by richard10012)
I am looking to buy a new console, most of the consoles are over £400, I am undecided. Which ones have the best games coming out? I like games like Mafia, red dead
General consensus is that Sony's platforms have a much better selection of version-exclusive titles and franchises than Microsoft's do these days- The Last of Us, Spiderman, Ghost of Tsushima, God of War, Uncharted, Horizon Zero Dawn, Bloodborne, The Last Guardian and Shadow of the Colossus are all critically acclaimed games that cannot be played on Xbox (although some are available on PC). The stable of games that can be played on Xbox but not Playstation is a lot smaller and a lot less interesting in my opinion unless you're really interested in FPS games, where the two flagship franchises, Halo and Gears of War, are highly compelling. But for the sort of adventure/action games you're more interested in, the PS4/5 would likely have more exclusive titles that would grab your attention.

Personally I might pick up a second hand PS4 at some point in the new year to start working through the exclusives I haven't played yet, but the main priority is a new graphics card for my PC.
Last edited by username612415; 1 year ago
Afrrcyn
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Another thing to keep in mind, is Xbox Game Pass, which is available on PC - which means you can play Majority of Xbox's exclusives without an Xbox... I haven't brought one either but that's just due to a lack of money
ozzyoscy
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Why are you buying something worth £400 or £500 when you don't even know if you want it?
username612415
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Afrrcyn)
Another thing to keep in mind, is Xbox Game Pass, which is available on PC - which means you can play Majority of Xbox's exclusives without an Xbox... I haven't brought one either but that's just due to a lack of money
You need a PC capable of running those games though, and I would hazard a guess if they had one of those they wouldn't need to ask this question in the first place.
adam271
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Afrrcyn)
Do you have a Computer that's able to run games?
I have a decent PC.
To be honest though, not any games on PC I am interested in playing.
ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
xbox lacks exclusives, go with ps5 instead.

perhaps get a switch2 too for more casual gaming when it comes out..
AnimeFanGirl
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I would recommend a Nintendo Switch. I play on mine all the time!
ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Actually, it might be worth considering the X-box series X if you're into emulation and wish to play games from older systems..
thats a LOT of games at your fingertips, albeit from past generations

MadameRazz
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
the ps5 is worth it for the controller alone. and spider-man of course.
adam271
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MadameRazz)
the ps5 is worth it for the controller alone. and spider-man of course.
Completely disagree.

Spiderman on ps4 looks fantastic.

Now are the differences noticeable? Certainly.
For me though, I need more then 1 game to justify buying a brand new console.
MadameRazz
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by adam271)
Completely disagree.

Spiderman on ps4 looks fantastic.

Now are the differences noticeable? Certainly.
For me though, I need more then 1 game to justify buying a brand new console.
do you have the ps5? the controller is the best thing about it. and spider man MM may look good on ps4, but its Better on ps5. facts.
Last edited by MadameRazz; 1 year ago
ozzyoscy
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
do you have the ps5? the controller is the best thing about it. and spider man MM may look good on ps4, but its Better on ps5. facts.
I've looked at the comparison and at first I thought the left side was the PS5 version. In some comparisons, the PS4 version is more detailed.

If you find yourself saying the best thing about a console is its controller, maybe you shouldn't buy the console.
adam271
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Nope no PS5.
I do intend to get one next year though.
I agree with you on the controller it is good. But it is optimised for ps5 games. PS5 games are somewhat lacking at the moment.

I would recommend to most people to wait a bit for getting a ps5. Why?
Lack of games
Bug fixes
Lack of availability.

The bug fixes is an important one.
Unlike the Xbox the PS5 is more of a top down redesign with a complete new UI, controller and design.
The problem with completely redesigning your console is it will be more prone to problems. Which has been shown by the PS5 having more issues then the Xbox.
This is not the fault of the PS5 its an issue with all new techology.
The Xbox doesnt suffer from it as much because it didnt change the UI or Controller and its pretty much just a hardware upgrade with a case.

Now when would I get a PS5? Probably when Hogwarts Legacy comes out. That game looks fantastic on the ps5.
adam271
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ozzyoscy)
I've looked at the comparison and at first I thought the left side was the PS5 version. In some comparisons, the PS4 version is more detailed.

https://youtu.be/pPmVScTleVM

If you find yourself saying the best thing about a console is its controller, maybe you shouldn't buy the console.
Looking at that comparison its clear that the differences minor. You have to pause and zoom to see the differences.
When your running around web slinging your not going to notice it.
username4986690
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago

YouTube compression also won't help.
ozzyoscy
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
YouTube compression also won't help.
Maybe but both sides are compressed so the (arguable) difference is still equal.
MadameRazz
Rep:
Report 1 year ago

thats some strange logic you have there that i wholeheartedly disagree with. if the controller is fantastic, and works best with exclusive games on that console, that means you shouldn’t get the console? you realise how dumb that is, yes?
MadameRazz
Rep:
Report 1 year ago

you’re only going to fully notice the difference if you have both and have played both on the right type of tv/monitor. looking at it on your phone isn’t going to show sh*t.

ALSO, you wanna compare those load times mate?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (137)
33.83%
Yes - a trusted person (107)
26.42%
No (109)
26.91%
I'm not sure (52)
12.84%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed