galaxyemma
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
How much maths is in a physics degree? I take A-Level maths but not further maths. Would I be able to cope? How much of A-Level further maths is used in physics degree? I've heard physics degrees are basically maths degrees, is this true? Even for other areas of physics e.g. astrophysics?

Thank you!
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
All physics courses will have a large maths content, but they will expect you to have maths to A level to start with, not further maths, and teach you the extra material you need alongside the physics. Some of this is going to be well above further maths A level, particularly things like Fourier transforms, solutions to complex differential equations etc. Yes, some bits of physics are a bit more observational and some are more theoretical, all of them require some maths (including astrophysics - try modelling radiation transport and hydrodynamics in a star minus the maths !) – that’s just the nature of university level physics.
bored_user:)
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I study Physics at uni and around 25% of the course is just pure maths and the rest, you just apply the maths.
UoB - Engineering and Physical Sciences
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by galaxyemma)
How much maths is in a physics degree? I take A-Level maths but not further maths. Would I be able to cope? How much of A-Level further maths is used in physics degree? I've heard physics degrees are basically maths degrees, is this true? Even for other areas of physics e.g. astrophysics?

Thank you!
Hello galaxyemma!

I'm a physics student at Birmingham and I can confirm that Maths is an important part of my degree. Most (especially if they're accredited by IOP) Universities have a compulsory Maths module per semester and there are mathematical derivations of equations in other modules, like in Electromagnetism and Optics. I'd argue that there is a massive difference between maths and physics though - In my opinion, Maths is a tool in a physics degree whereas actually studying a pure Maths degree involves more abstract thinking and proofs. It's definitely worth comparing the modules between courses if you're interested!

That being said, it doesn't mean you won't cope without having done Further Maths. Lots of students go into physics degrees without it and cope just fine. Universities don't expect you to know the further maths content unless they specifically ask for it in the entry requirements and if you do find yourself struggling there should be academic support available to you

If you have any questions feel free to message!
-Faye
𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by galaxyemma)

Thank you!
My daughter does physics are lancaster first year. She says her modules for first term are 1 part physics to 2 part maths. (vectors, calculus, intergration, differentiation) She says they have a mix of students that done further maths, and some that havent taken it at a'level and seem to cope fine with it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (292)
55.62%
I don't have everything I need (233)
44.38%

Watched Threads