The Student Room Group

How much maths in economics degree?

How much maths is in an economics BSc degree? I take A-Level maths but not further maths. Would I be able to cope? How much of A-Level further maths is used in economics degree? Is it true that economics degrees are basically just applied maths?
you'll be fine with most econ degrees with A level maths

i don't have A level maths but still survived my bsc ppe (econ major)

you'll usually get required modules in maths and stats in the first year. after that it's mostly optional, save something like econometrics (statistics) which you ought to/may have to do

the maths in economics is mostly linear and matrix algebra. economics is an application of maths, but you'll still get things like proofs
I do straight econ only did maths, I did get an A* and did both stats modules (old A-level). I got a first in my first-year maths module. As long as you are strong in maths it doesn't matter if you did further or not, most people on my course didn't
Only LSE and Cambridge require further maths so every other university economics course should be fine with just a-level. As mentioned above, you'll do maths and stats modules in first year which will cover calculus, linear algebra and regression. Typically you'll use this knowledge and apply it in all your other modules (even the non-maths ones). For example, intermediate micro or industrial organisation will use a fair amount of calculus even though it doesn't sound like a maths module. As you progress, you can take modules that typically require more or less maths depending on your preferences. Topics like game theory and advanced econometrics will be quite mathsy whereas more more applied modules should have less. I think a general weighting of 1/2 Econ and 1/2 maths&stats is what most courses are like. Sometimes it's 1/3 each for econ, maths and stats depending on your uni

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending