EASY biology question,but I have difficulty remembering concept

Watch
susiebe
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
'Some people cannot digest lactose when they are adult. They could digest lactose when they were children. Use your knowledge of water potential to explain why these adults get diarrhoea when they drink milk.'

Can someone please answer this in a really easy way to get me to remember!
Last edited by susiebe; 1 month ago
Lucyyy17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by susiebe)
'Some people cannot digest lactose when they are adult. They could digest lactose when they were children. Use your knowledge of water potential to explain why these adults get diarrhoea when they drink milk.'

Can someone please answer this in a really easy way to get me to remember!
I think it is because the lactose isn’t digested so remains in the faeces, this reduces the water potential in the faeces therefore water moves into the faeces via osmosis down the concentration gradient, making them more watery. Hope that helps
replaythat
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes right, lactose is a sugar and is a solute (made up of glucose and galactose), solutes lower water potential, becuase it is not digested it remains there and so a diffusion gradient is established - water can them move from an area of high concentration gradient to a low concentration - which makes it very watery
susiebe
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Great answers,many thanks!

Im finding if i draw myself diagrams of where the higher concentration of solutes are then I can see which way the water molecules move via osmosis.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (18)
13.74%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (31)
23.66%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (58)
44.27%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (20)
15.27%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
3.05%

Watched Threads