How to deal with controlling family members

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have a mum who is controlling and a younger sister who is controlling whos got it from my mum. Im over 21 as well
obstruct
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I have a mum who is controlling and a younger sister who is controlling whos got it from my mum. Im over 21 as well
that's sad

do you usually rely on both for certain things? e.g. money/support/advice? do you ask for their opinion a lot?
if you had to do an errand would you do it yourself or ask your mum/sister?

sometimes when you use family too much they think you are incapable of doing things for yourself and therefore act controlling. it might also be because you are relying on them that they feel you cannot do things for yourself / cannot do stuff without them

so my advice would be to do things independently and not always tell them about things to show your independence - for example, going to the shop alone/ getting a job/ keeping close gossip and friendship stuff to yourself. this way they'll realise you don't need them as such in everyday life and hopefully they'll stop being controlling

alternatively you can subtly mention to them that you're 21 and do not need them to control your life - sometimes a difficult and awkward conversation like that can make the situation a hell of a lot better
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (21)
13.55%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (42)
27.1%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (64)
41.29%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (23)
14.84%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
3.23%

Watched Threads