The Student Room Group

Mental Health Support Society XXI

Scroll to see replies

Anybody else find December/Christmas time super hard. Always found it awkward ever since I was a kid.
Original post by LesPaul_Player91
Anybody else find December/Christmas time super hard. Always found it awkward ever since I was a kid.

Hey, good to hear from you :smile: Glad the nerve pain is better, though sorry to hear about the insomnia :s-smilie:

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Christmas (though everyone thinks I am!), tbh. Especially after Christmas 2020, when my family had a huge row on Christmas Day :s-smilie: I get super-stressed out by it all :frown: Sorry to hear you find it hard too :hugs:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Hey, good to hear from you :smile: Glad the nerve pain is better, though sorry to hear about the insomnia :s-smilie:

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Christmas (though everyone thinks I am!), tbh. Especially after Christmas 2020, when my family had a huge row on Christmas Day :s-smilie: I get super-stressed out by it all :frown: Sorry to hear you find it hard too :hugs:

Thanks! The insomnia's getting better since I switched to changing my meds from evening to morning. Sorry to hear about the Christmas issues.
Original post by LesPaul_Player91
Thanks! The insomnia's getting better since I switched to changing my meds from evening to morning. Sorry to hear about the Christmas issues.

Oh that's really great to hear! :h: Pleased for you! :biggrin:
It's hard to trust my own head at times :s-smilie:
I thought, I was on a good way, but I struggle... I missed out so much this year, I tried to get better, but instead changing my life into something positive, it is just worst... I finally can invite friends again and then I just end up crying... because of basically just first-world-problems... 😢 ... I got a new job, I should be over the moon, but I have the feeling I have been robbed of my happiness. I have never really found it again.
This mirtaz insomnias reallt getting me down now. I dont know what to do.
Carry on the withdrawl and push through hoping it gets better, or just stay on it 😭
Feel like such a failure
Original post by PonchoKid
This mirtaz insomnias reallt getting me down now. I dont know what to do.
Carry on the withdrawl and push through hoping it gets better, or just stay on it 😭
Feel like such a failure

I am not an expert, but it sounds not to me, as you can do anything about it...so, why do you think, you are a failure?
Original post by Nathanielle_
I am not an expert, but it sounds not to me, as you can do anything about it...so, why do you think, you are a failure?

Because is my body that ****ed that it cant cope with coming off a medication i dont need to be on?
I dont need to be on it, yet i cant sleep without it.
Wish id never gone on meds as i wouldnt be in this situation.
Because is my body that ****ed that it cant cope with coming off a medication i dont need to be on?
I dont need to be on it, yet i cant sleep without it.
Wish id never gone on meds as i wouldnt be in this situation.

Hm, but I do not think, it is anything, you can control. Nobody of us knows exactly how our bodies will react, it is trial and error. I do not think, you are a failure, because what did you fail to do? I guess, you took the medication because of medical reasons? So you did it, because you wanted to do good to your body, you did not fail, you are not a failure, just unlucky. That is a difference. So there is no need to put yourself down... (I do it, too, but I know, that from distance it is not logic.)
Ugh, don't seem to be having any real consistent re side effects going down on my meds. Insomnia was back last night and super groggy today. The positives still definitely outweighing the negatives but it's a bit of a pain!
Original post by Nathanielle_
Hm, but I do not think, it is anything, you can control. Nobody of us knows exactly how our bodies will react, it is trial and error. I do not think, you are a failure, because what did you fail to do? I guess, you took the medication because of medical reasons? So you did it, because you wanted to do good to your body, you did not fail, you are not a failure, just unlucky. That is a difference. So there is no need to put yourself down... (I do it, too, but I know, that from distance it is not logic.)

The 40% logic part of me knows its stupid. But 60% off me feels like a complete failure that i now rely on a medication for sleep when i never.i just dont know what to do because i dont want to be on it. But also i need sleep
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
No worries at all! Really hoping things are on the up for you :hugs:

TO ALL: Loads of hugs to all those struggling, esp. Anon 2 and PonchoKid :frown:

Thank you :hugs: sorry I just clocked this
Yeah ypu will be able to self refer into your local IAPT/whatever it is called in your area. Here its now talking therepies, was minds matter.
But waiting lists will be long, si worth trying to get in with uni in the mean time.

Thanks, I had a quick google and it was called healthy minds here (funnily enough did self refer when I did CBT)
Original post by Anonymous #2
Thank you :hugs: sorry I just clocked this

No worries at all :hugs:
The 40% logic part of me knows its stupid. But 60% off me feels like a complete failure that i now rely on a medication for sleep when i never.i just dont know what to do because i dont want to be on it. But also i need sleep

Yeah, I know, that, when logic does not get through to your heart and neurons... life would be so much easier, if logic would win all the time.

Sleep is a complicated thing, ... I just saw a talk show about it (nope, i do not think, I am an expert about it) and most of the people telling their stories, found out at the end, but it was a long way for all of them. Especially, as it is not easy to find experts. But they found a way, so I think, you'll find too. 🙂 But it is not an easy thing, so do not beat yourself up for it.
Feel ******* awful.
Mentally im so done. I just want to hide away but because of how my course works we have to catch up on any missed hours so i feel i cant not turn up. But i just fake myself all day and it wears me out then i cant sleep either.
Drives me up the wall when my ******* family are too ******* thick. Like don’t touch my ******* stuff, you know not to touch my mother ******* stuff yet you’re still too mother ******* thick enough to touch it!! They’re too ******* thick and they know it ****s with my OCD and they’re still too thick to understand this!! ******* ****es me off!! :angry:
I have also made a self referral to IAPT (also known as healthy minds when I referred myself). Haven’t made anyone who I know IRL aware about it as I feel I need to it keep to myself for now. As it was known as healthy minds, would they be able to keep it confidential unless I was at risk? I don’t feel as tho as I am at risk, but feel like I need the support if that makes sense? I really need to make uni aware of my MH too, would they need any kind of evidence that I need support for my MH?

Sorry for the silly questions, as it’s my first time that I need to make uni aware, I have no idea what to expect, or how to make it known to them that I need support? I also have not made my family or friends aware that I’ve re referred myself :redface:
Original post by Anonymous #2
I have also made a self referral to IAPT (also known as healthy minds when I referred myself). Haven’t made anyone who I know IRL aware about it as I feel I need to it keep to myself for now. As it was known as healthy minds, would they be able to keep it confidential unless I was at risk? I don’t feel as tho as I am at risk, but feel like I need the support if that makes sense? I really need to make uni aware of my MH too, would they need any kind of evidence that I need support for my MH?

Sorry for the silly questions, as it’s my first time that I need to make uni aware, I have no idea what to expect, or how to make it known to them that I need support? I also have not made my family or friends aware that I’ve re referred myself :redface:

Sorry to hear your family were touching your stuff again! They never learn, argh! :mad:

Most (if not all) uni disability offices do require evidence from a doctor/mental health professional, confirming your diagnosis. If you want to apply for Disabled Students' Allowance at any point (which I'd recommend!), then the letter with the diagnosis would need to explain a bit about how your mental health affects your ability to study :yes:

Quick Reply

Latest