The Student Room Group

Feeling overwhelmed with uni work

I'm in first year and in October I changed course to joint honours so now i'm behind with half of my course, I have deadlines approaching in December and January. With the lectures and seminar work on top it just feels like too much. My attempts to catch up have also set me back in the other half of my course that I didn't change

I'm so demotivated as well because whenever I finally sit down to do work, all I can think about is the other things I am yet to tackle

I try and make to plans but I can never stick to them

I did pretty well in my first essay (got 62% 2:1) but it doesn't count towards my grade

I have 2 essays due for mid December, both require research and two in January as well as a take home (48 hour) exam also in January
Original post by Admera
I'm in first year and in October I changed course to joint honours so now i'm behind with half of my course, I have deadlines approaching in December and January. With the lectures and seminar work on top it just feels like too much. My attempts to catch up have also set me back in the other half of my course that I didn't change

I'm so demotivated as well because whenever I finally sit down to do work, all I can think about is the other things I am yet to tackle

I did pretty well in my first essay (got 62% 2:1) but it doesn't count towards my grade

I have 2 essays due for mid December, both require research and two in January as well as a take home (48 hour) exam also in January

The bit in bold is what you need to work on.

Sit yourself down, write a list of all deadlines you have, and work out what tasks you need to do to complete each one.
Make a realistic timetable of work around your lectures and seminars, and factor in editing time/referencing/time to relax.
Try to have self-discipline to not procrastinate.
Maybe tell someone (a friend, family member etc.) about your timetable, so they can act as someone to keep you accountable.
Use study apps like Forest to prevent yourself wandering onto your phone etc.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Admera

Hi OP
Try not to worry to much about your essays and exams, as long as you pass you will be fine as first year doesn't count towards your final classification at all. Of course you still want to do well so here are some tips:

Make sure you base your essays on something your generally interested in, if you have the option, and you will be fine
Begin with short essay plans. Your uni should have a section on this on their website dedicated to academic writing / planning. Don't make your plans too long as you could spend too much time on this and your best bet is to just get writing then edit, edit, edit. A mind map will honestly do, with what your going to write in each paragraph etc.
Check your reading list. There will be enough info in this list for whatever topic you are doing.
Then I would suggest opening up two word docs putting the title at top of both and just try to write out as much as you can, whatever comes to mind, doesn't matter if its gibberish. You will feel better for having something written down and you can go from there with them.
Then, contact your support services at university - this always helped me as they are great and have many tips. Even if you send them your first draft of each essay
I would also look over your learning objectives as this is what your tutors are looking for - that you can follow what they've asked of you and you have hit those objectives
When I was at uni I would stay in uni 8-5. Even if I had a 1 hour seminar at 1pm. It didn't matter - having that allocated time dedicated to uni quickly became a habit that followed me through university and I think helped me in securing a 1st.

Finally, complete your reference list as you go, don't make the mistake of thinking you will sort it at the end because this will just stress you out

Manchester phrasebank is a great site for academic writing and phrases to use, take a look

You can easy complete the bulk of this over the next two weeks and maybe set aside a couple of evenings a week where you solely focus on exam revision? Flash cards, online quiz's. Maybe see if you and your friends want to create your own Kahoot quiz to practise on

You have got this OP, stay safe and smash it :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Use the color coding technique.
Reply 4
Original post by PhoenixFortune
The bit in bold is what you need to work on.

Sit yourself down, write a list of all deadlines you have, and work out what tasks you need to do to complete each one.
Make a realistic timetable of work around your lectures and seminars, and factor in editing time/referencing/time to relax.
Try to have self-discipline to not procrastinate.
Maybe tell someone (a friend, family member etc.) about your timetable, so they can act as someone to keep you accountable.
Use study apps like Forest to prevent yourself wandering onto your phone etc.

Good luck :smile:

Yeah it definitely is, I have a real problem with procrastination and I'm slowly working on it.

Those are great ideas I will do them now, thank you!
Reply 5
Original post by cmb123
Hi OP
Try not to worry to much about your essays and exams, as long as you pass you will be fine as first year doesn't count towards your final classification at all. Of course you still want to do well so here are some tips:

Make sure you base your essays on something your generally interested in, if you have the option, and you will be fine
Begin with short essay plans. Your uni should have a section on this on their website dedicated to academic writing / planning. Don't make your plans too long as you could spend too much time on this and your best bet is to just get writing then edit, edit, edit. A mind map will honestly do, with what your going to write in each paragraph etc.
Check your reading list. There will be enough info in this list for whatever topic you are doing.
Then I would suggest opening up two word docs putting the title at top of both and just try to write out as much as you can, whatever comes to mind, doesn't matter if its gibberish. You will feel better for having something written down and you can go from there with them.
Then, contact your support services at university - this always helped me as they are great and have many tips. Even if you send them your first draft of each essay
I would also look over your learning objectives as this is what your tutors are looking for - that you can follow what they've asked of you and you have hit those objectives
When I was at uni I would stay in uni 8-5. Even if I had a 1 hour seminar at 1pm. It didn't matter - having that allocated time dedicated to uni quickly became a habit that followed me through university and I think helped me in securing a 1st.

Finally, complete your reference list as you go, don't make the mistake of thinking you will sort it at the end because this will just stress you out

Manchester phrasebank is a great site for academic writing and phrases to use, take a look

You can easy complete the bulk of this over the next two weeks and maybe set aside a couple of evenings a week where you solely focus on exam revision? Flash cards, online quiz's. Maybe see if you and your friends want to create your own Kahoot quiz to practise on

You have got this OP, stay safe and smash it :smile:

Hi thank you so much for this advice and suggestions its very helpful! I definitely need to be staying in uni for longer, I guess its harder now because I have to be in my room for most of my seminars
Original post by Admera

Hiya!

I'm sorry that you are feeling this way:frown:

Uni is a very strange situation to adapt to and it just takes some time to settle and find the best ways that work for you for studying!

My two tips are:
- Buying a diary
I bought a diary this year and it has been so helpful for me to plan out al the small tasks that I want to get done daily. I find mapping out what I need to do really helpful and makes me feel really productive when I get to tick them off! Plan out your reading, when to watch recorded lectures, when to start writing a paragraph for a new essay etc.
- Work in small slots
I find working in 40 minute slots the most effective for me and then I give myself a 5 minute break afterwards. See what works best for you and try not to overwhelm yourself by setting too many tasks for one day!

Sam- Official Student Rep :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending