cherry7girl
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hello it's me again lol
i dont know what i want to do as a career, and im not interested in doing lab work as a job. i want to do a good solid degree that i'll enjoy for 3 years and decide afterwards what exactly i should do, because at this point im never making my mind up. i was going to do biomed, but now im thinking it's a little wishy-washy (not underestimating how difficult it is, it's just that it seems to be designed really just to be a biomedical scientist working in an nhs lab afterwards) and chemistry is more highly regarded (not that that is a determining factor) and i do enjoy chemistry. i think ill find biomed more interesting but i want to avoid being a biomedical scientist at all costs (having said that im absolutely not being a lab technician for a chemistry lab). if you're still reading this, then thank you what do you think i should do? is chemistry really a better degree than biomed?
Last edited by cherry7girl; 1 month ago
St George's, University of London
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by cherry7girl)
hello it's me again lol
i dont know what i want to do as a career, and im not interested in doing lab work as a job. i want to do a good solid degree that i'll enjoy for 3 years and decide afterwards what exactly i should do, because at this point im never making my mind up. i was going to do biomed, but now im thinking it's a little wishy-washy (not underestimating how difficult it is, it's just that it seems to be designed really just to be a biomedical scientist working in an nhs lab afterwards) and chemistry is more highly regarded (not that that is a determining factor) and i do enjoy chemistry. i think ill find biomed more interesting but i want to avoid being a biomedical scientist at all costs (having said that im absolutely not being a lab technician for a chemistry lab). if you're still reading this, then thank you what do you think i should do? is chemistry really a better degree than biomed?
Hi there cherry7girl

It's good that you know what you definitely don't want to do - that's a good place to start! So the first thing is that with both those degrees, there's going to be a fairly large portion of time that you'll spend in the labs - I know that's not what you want to do overall but make sure you're okay to do it for 3 years and will be able to focus and work hard in the lab section of whatever degree you choose. In terms of biomed degree being designed to be an NHS Biomedical Scientist, that's not the case with all biomed courses - you would need to look at the curriculum and modules for the course at different unis, but there's definitely some courses that are designed to be much more general and cover the human body more broadly. Very few people on my course now joined with the aim of being a biomedical scientist, and I know people with biomed degrees that have gone on to do teaching, work in finance, criminology or genetic counselling. If that's the only reason you're writing it off, I would definitely reconsider. As far as I know, neither degree is 'better' than the other - you'd have more advantage doing a degree you will enjoy more so are more likely to get higher grades in, and aiming for a good university. Ultimately you need to make your decision, but my number one bit of advice is that whatever you choose, make sure you enjoy it. You're going to dedicate 3 years of your life to studying that in more detail than you've ever studied before, and if you don't enjoy your degree, you'll struggle to motivate yourself to get the work done and succeed. Let me know if you have any more questions about Biomed, I can definitely answer them if you've got any specific worries!

Best Wishes,
Lauren
3rd Year Biomedical Science Student
SGUL Official Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (313)
55.99%
I don't have everything I need (246)
44.01%

Watched Threads