TEMPEST/TYPHOON
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Really interested in Joining the RAF as an Engineer. I just would like to know what would an RAF Engineering Officer (Aerosystems) typical day be like and how much of the job is management and how much is engineering. Thanks.
Advertisement
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TEMPEST/TYPHOON)
how much of the job is management and how much is engineering.
99% : 1%
AscendingWings
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TEMPEST/TYPHOON)
Really interested in Joining the RAF as an Engineer. I just would like to know what would an RAF Engineering Officer (Aerosystems) typical day be like and how much of the job is management and how much is engineering. Thanks.
As an officer, there isn't much engineering you'll have hands-on with, you're there to manage and lead your team of technicians but you will be in the environments. Looking at jobs, prioritising and maintaining the standards for operation.
Advertisement
TEMPEST/TYPHOON
Rep:
?
(Original post by AscendingWings)
As an officer, there isn't much engineering you'll have hands-on with, you're there to manage and lead your team of technicians but you will be in the environments. Looking at jobs, prioritising and maintaining the standards for operation.
Thanks
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There isn't a typical day as it depends what your tour is, and you'll move every 2-3 years to gain experience in different areas. It's not all front-line operations and flying squadrons; you can be working in a maintenance environment, for aircraft or equipment, or go down the armaments route, or be working in an office job looking at support and policy.

There's very little hands-on engineering, but you will need an understanding of how systems work to make a judgement on priorities and safety. You could have a large team working for you, in which case you are responsible for management of their career development, welfare, training and discipline, or you may have no staff at all. You'll also have duties covering wider aspects of work such as health and safety and quality assurance.

Ex-AS Engineer.
Advertisement
TEMPEST/TYPHOON
Rep:
?
Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (146)
62.13%
I don't have everything I need (89)
37.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise