The Student Room Group

Uni Choices: International Law or Relations?????????? help

Hello everyone.
I am doing A LEVELS in Business, Philosophy and Ethics and English Lit.
I want to work abroad once I finish UNI, in the legal/public/trade sector. (similar to a diplomat???) or work in an embassy??
I also want to learn languages (Chinese, Korean,Japanese for example).

Should I do an UNDERGRAD in International Law, Law with a Language, or International Relations? Or Law with International Relations?

What is the difference between International Law and International Relations?

Thank you!
(edited 3 years ago)
Personally, I think it would be best to do IR and a language (which many unis offer). This way you still have the option to go to law school after the fact and it doesn't close all the doors for you. I also want to be a diplomat and from what I saw you definitely need a language but when considering IR or IL it really comes down to what you feel you will enjoy the most. Neither of them will stop you from getting a job if you don't choose them so one really isn't better than the other.

Then again, law is a more prestigious degree but if you don't enjoy law, you are unlikely to do as well.
Reply 2
Original post by hermionejl
Personally, I think it would be best to do IR and a language (which many unis offer). This way you still have the option to go to law school after the fact and it doesn't close all the doors for you. I also want to be a diplomat and from what I saw you definitely need a language but when considering IR or IL it really comes down to what you feel you will enjoy the most. Neither of them will stop you from getting a job if you don't choose them so one really isn't better than the other.

Then again, law is a more prestigious degree but if you don't enjoy law, you are unlikely to do as well.

Thank you! How about Law with International Relations? This way I could get a Bachelor of Laws, and also learn about IR? And then I suppose languages could be self-studied?
Original post by saikikusuoo
Thank you! How about Law with International Relations? This way I could get a Bachelor of Laws, and also learn about IR? And then I suppose languages could be self-studied?

Of course, if you feel like that is what you'd enjoy. Have a look at prospective unis and see with the workload is for Law and IR because it'll definitely be a lot! Loads of unis have societies for languages so there's plenty of opportunities for you to lean a language in your own time. A BoL is always going to be a great choice for a subject and the broader your knowledge the more you'll stand out.

I'd probably guess that it'll be a lot of work but you sound like you're passionate about it so it shouldn't be a problem. I'm studying IR and Spanish next year and I can say that doing two subjects is going to be harder than just one subject.

If you have anymore questions about this I'm happy to help!
Reply 4
Original post by hermionejl
Of course, if you feel like that is what you'd enjoy. Have a look at prospective unis and see with the workload is for Law and IR because it'll definitely be a lot! Loads of unis have societies for languages so there's plenty of opportunities for you to lean a language in your own time. A BoL is always going to be a great choice for a subject and the broader your knowledge the more you'll stand out.

I'd probably guess that it'll be a lot of work but you sound like you're passionate about it so it shouldn't be a problem. I'm studying IR and Spanish next year and I can say that doing two subjects is going to be harder than just one subject.

If you have anymore questions about this I'm happy to help!

Thanks! Actually, doing more research Im unsure if I want to do IR, I think its quite a lot and also history-based. I think doing a lot is too much and its good to stick to something I will love/enjoy?? I am currently thinking about IL and a Language? I really want to work/study abroad so that sounds nice to me :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending