AW AFR
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Is Chemical Engineering a good degree today and will it be so in future?
CaptainSkyston
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AW AFR)
Is Chemical Engineering a good degree today and will it be so in future?
I'm just an A-level applicant but given the countless hours of researching and talking to chem engineers and taking supplementary courses, I feel like my response should be somewhat valuable!

It helps to think about what Chem Eng actually is: the industrialisation of processes. If you want to see what chem eng is in its basics I'd recommend 'A Handbook of Chemical Engineering' by George Edward Davis- it's arguably the book that started chem eng as an established field. Anyhow, it's deeply involved with efficiency and sustainability- something that's *very* highly valued in today's market, and should continue to be.

Historically, Chemical Engineering was synonymous with working in petrochemicals and raw material extraction, however, as the industry developed in the late 20th century to today, many, many more opportunities came with it, including but not limited to: Pharmaceuticals, Water treatment, Food production and Energy. Indeed, Chem Eng degrees can also get you into tangentially related fields, such as nuclear physics. As oil and petrochemical industries continue to recede, I think opportunities will remain rather open, especially with varied new research projects underway in universities across the country.

To summarise, right now Chemical Engineering is highly valued and should continue to be far into the future due to new opportunities. However, if you decide to get into Chem Eng, I'd advise you to avoid Oil/Petrochemicals if you value job security.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (195)
58.21%
I don't have everything I need (140)
41.79%

Watched Threads