Any lesser known cooking tips you would like to share here?

Watch
Other_Owl
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I found out & tried that you can remove egg yolks with a plastic bottle.
Last edited by Other_Owl; 1 month ago
abi786
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
use floss to cut cinnamon rolls - it give a clean cut and doesn't squash it
glassalice
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Don't wash mushrooms. Dust them with a kitchen towel, because they soak up water like a sponge.

Any remaining chicken excrement shouldn't make you ill so long as the mushrooms are cooked for a long period of time.

Don't keep eggs in the fridge. However, if you are making a dish that contains meringue, put them in the fridge for an hour or so beforehand.
Last edited by glassalice; 1 month ago
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by glassalice)
Don't wash mushrooms. Dust them with a kitchen towel, because they soak up water like a sponge.
Why is this a problem?
glassalice
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by black tea)
Why is this a problem?
Stops them from browning/ becoming golden and crispy.
Last edited by glassalice; 1 month ago
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by glassalice)
Stops them from browning/ becoming golden and crispy.
definitely doesn't stop them from browning...
glassalice
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
definitely doesn't stop them from browning...
It also prevents them from fully absorbing the flavour for what ever you are cooking the mushrooms in.
Google it. It is a thing.
abi786
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
tip for softening butter(for all the bakers!):

put hot water in a glass and spill it out. then put the hot glass over the butter to soften it without melting it.

(trust me- it works)
ggrhodes03
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
less a cooking tip but if your hands smell of garlic try rubbing them on stainless steel (i.e a tap) to get rid of the smell
summerberry19
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you got eggshell in your egg, dip your finger in water and fish it out
tinygirl96
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Keep bread in foil
Alienated.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
...wear glasses when cutting onions??
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
For the crispiest chicken wings you'll ever eat without the need for frying, dry them with paper towel and then toss them in a mix of baking powder and salt equal to 1% of their weight (e.g if you have 1kg of wings to cook, you need 5g of salt and 5g of baking powder), then spread them over a wire rack and leave them to rest in the fridge for a few hours before cooking. This will dry out the skin and get them ready for maximum crispiness. Crank your oven up to much higher than you normally would, 220-230C, and bake them until the skin is really brown and blistered, then toss them in the sauce of your choice.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It is fairly well known but rarely done... keep your knives sharp. You are far more likely to cut yourself on a dull knife because you will have less control, they are more prone to slipping and you will need more force to use it thus making slips even more dangerous.

On the topic of knives you only need about 3 kitchen knives to do 99% of your work.
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Other_Owl)
I found out & tried that you can remove egg yolks with a plastic bottle.
Sounds too complicate. A simple spoon and you can pick the egg yolks in a mug too, if it failed.
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Kallisto)
Sounds too complicate. A simple spoon and you can pick the egg yolks in a mug too, if it failed.
Or just pour out the egg white and you will be left with the egg yolk in the shell...
Last edited by black tea; 1 month ago
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Or just pour out the egg white and you will be left with the egg yoke in the shell...
That is the elegant way for people with skills! the spoon is for clumsy self-declared cooks who have two left hands to divide an egg into two halves.
tinygirl96
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
When reading your cookbooks at home do use the colour coding technique. Always recommended as the best memory recall technique. Also you can bookmark the page or fold it. And it is a really good idea to keep a tiny pot or cup of cold water for any soup making days so that you can throw it quickly in the event of a unwanted fire etc.
When using the oven at Christmas time either have a door or window in the kitchen which is partly open. If you are making bread, use a alarm clock or a mini egg timer. I find that it helps. Try to keep all your recipes in a folder.
Every now and again check on and replace your used kitchen equipment including oven trays etc as well. It is recommended to have oven gloves or mittens.
OceanCat
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Make your kitchen space convenient and clutter free. Make it accessible, put things near where you use them e.g. pots and pans near the stove, drainers under the sink unit.

See through storage is your friend, either boxes to store your bottles or bottles and tupperware to store things such as flour.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (195)
58.38%
I don't have everything I need (139)
41.62%

Watched Threads