Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I was one of the year 13's who got CAGs and didn't have to do their a levels. i got A*AB but I was rejected from imperial (firm) and UCL (insurance ) for Electrical and Electronic Engineering. Fortunately, I was able to get a clearing place at the University of Southampton for EEE. However, after emailing imperial admissions, they said that I would get a reserved place at imperial for next year and all I would need to do is redo my physics a level and get an A then I would be admitted.

I live very close to imperial so would be staying at home for university but I've heard that the atmosphere, workload, and m/f ratio is really bad. I'm not sure if I would get a better education and experience at Southampton as I would be living away for university and the atmosphere might be better.

Which university should I go to?
any comments and advice would be appreciated thanks.
Anonymous #1
I forgot to mention that I've currently taken a gap year in which I'm redoing my physics a level and dodging online university.
Ferrari08
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi i am not exactly answering your q but I am sitting geo in the summer and need an A for uni. Whats your plan if summer exams get cancelled? I would really not want to take another gap year.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I was one of the year 13's who got CAGs and didn't have to do their a levels. i got A*AB but I was rejected from imperial (firm) and UCL (insurance ) for Electrical and Electronic Engineering. Fortunately, I was able to get a clearing place at the University of Southampton for EEE. However, after emailing imperial admissions, they said that I would get a reserved place at imperial for next year and all I would need to do is redo my physics a level and get an A then I would be admitted.

I live very close to imperial so would be staying at home for university but I've heard that the atmosphere, workload, and m/f ratio is really bad. I'm not sure if I would get a better education and experience at Southampton as I would be living away for university and the atmosphere might be better.

Which university should I go to?
any comments and advice would be appreciated thanks.
Southampton is an excellent university for engineering. Ive known a few people who attended and all had an excellent student experience.

The benefit Imperial offers is if you wish to pursue a career in banking, accounting, consulting, IP where university reputation does impact hiring.

Imperial is known to be demanding workload wise & London offers a different university experience to other unis in cheaper cities. You really need to decide yourself what matters most to you and where you want to go.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Ferrari08)
Hi i am not exactly answering your q but I am sitting geo in the summer and need an A for uni. Whats your plan if summer exams get cancelled? I would really not want to take another gap year.
hi, I'm probably just gonna go to Southampton as I have a deferred place there for next year so I'm okay in that aspect.
what about you? what do you plan to do if summer exams get cancelled?
Ferrari08
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
hi, I'm probably just gonna go to Southampton as I have a deferred place there for next year so I'm okay in that aspect.
what about you? what do you plan to do if summer exams get cancelled?
I am gonna find and join a private exam centre that gives cag if exams cancelled. Good luck Southampton is sick for eee.
AndyChow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you are concerned about hard-working atmosphere, intense workload, 38% m/f ratio, then all of these are true, you should go to Southampton to have an easy life. Their other subjects are meh but I heard EE is pretty alright.

If you want academic excellence and prestige, then Imperial all they way
Uni of Southampton Students
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Hi!

I'm currently in my third year studying Electrical and Electronic engineering at Southampton so hopefully I can offer some insight into what the course is like to help your decision. I can't speak for what Imperial is like but I've found Southampton's course to have a wide range of modules depending on what you want to do, which has allowed me to really explore the field. We have a separate building which is just for electronics, electrical engineering and computer science students, which is full of computers with the appropriate programs in order to do coursework or just study.
I'd highly recommend going on open days to both universities if you haven't already so you can check out the facilities, like the ones I mentioned, at both universities. This may help your choice depending on what you're passionate about.
Looking at the available modules may also help your choice, for example, if there's a module at imperial which you really like the sound of but they don't offer it at Southampton, that may be a key point which affects your choice. I'll link both the pages for both universities below so you can check them out:
Southampton: https://www.southampton.ac.uk/courses/electrical-and-electronic-engineering-degree-beng
Imperial: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/...and-assessment
I'd also recommend looking at what in cities themselves are like, a huge part of university is living in the city itself and if you can't imagine yourself living sin either of them, that will really help your decision. Living in London would be very different to living in Southampton, so I'd recommend taking a long time to see what the cities are like!
Hope this helps and congratulations for getting an offer for Southampton!
I hope this helps your choice
Abi
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (77)
17.99%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (124)
28.97%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (160)
37.38%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (54)
12.62%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
3.04%

Watched Threads