The Student Room Group

KCL Public Policy MA

Anyone applying for Kings College London and specifically Public Policy MA? What was your 2nd year % considering the course wants a 2:1?

Also saw this and not sure what to think of it https://www.admissionreport.com/kings-college-london/ma-public-policy
I applied for the Political Economy MA. I'm from the U.S. but I believe I currently have a high 2:1. I'm kind of confused what you mean about the admission rate? Is it too high? Too low?
Reply 2
Original post by doodlebug987
I applied for the Political Economy MA. I'm from the U.S. but I believe I currently have a high 2:1. I'm kind of confused what you mean about the admission rate? Is it too high? Too low?

It's much higher than for example MSc Public Policy and Management https://www.admissionreport.com/kings-college-london/msc-public-policy-and-management

So I'm not sure whether that says anything about the course itself or how easy/hard it is to get an offer. I averaged a mid 2:2 in 2nd year (appeal pending for one module which brought me down from a 2:1 potentially) but I know I can get a 2:1 overall, just not sure about the offer at this stage and so unsure whether to apply now or after I've received at least my January results

For Political Economy here's the stats btw, which also has a high offer rate https://www.admissionreport.com/kings-college-london/ma-political-economy
I've already received an offer for Political Economy. I personally prefer King's from other major London unis because of the Political Economy department and economic philosophies within the department. I imagine that public policy can't differ by any extremes at other unis but the location and teaching faculty is what you should be looking at and making sure their research interests align with yours.

I would call that moderately competitive to be in the 60% acceptance range. Also those two programs had quite a difference in applicants and acceptances. the Public Policy Program could simply be larger than the other program. Or they know that it is a more general program so students apply to lots of PP programs and have more options after they receive offers, which in turn makes PP programs less competitive if there are many to choose from. I wouldn't base the quality of the program off of that rate. From what I know (could definitely be wrong I'm not from the UK) King's seems to have strong politics faculty so I'm sure it is a good program with interesting modules.

From my experience in the U.S. with grad school applications, there is no point in applying unless you meet the requirements for the application. If you are in the middle of an appeals process either wait it out to see what happens or reach out to King's to see what they recommend or if they would consider your application with a 2:2
(edited 3 years ago)
I just looked at the management program and it is just a pretty different program. They are also in different departments so likely have different education values. Perhaps figure out which program interests you more and then choose to apply. And if you choose the Public Policy MA you'll know that you have a higher chance at acceptance!
Reply 5
So bumping this thread to say that it's been around 3 1/2 months since I applied and I've still not heard back on a decision. Was wondering if anyone was in the same position? Sheffield for example only took 4 weeks to get back to me with an offer so 3 1/2 months for KCL seems a bit odd
I applied for public policy in late March and still have yet to hear back, I've had several notifications from the King's Apply portal including one instance where they somehow 'lost' my academic reference, so it's clear that their admissions team have seen my application. I personally have no idea how it's taken this long, I understand that there would be a higher volume of applicants this year, but waiting over three months for the university to acknowledge your application is insane.
Reply 7
I submitted my application for MA Public Policy on 26th March. My application status reads 'Received and being processed' since the 1st week of April. I haven't received any update from King's ever since!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending