The Student Room Group

Is it normal to be so under qualified at this age?

While hoping to apply to university I relied quite a bit on my grades which didn't go to plan due to predicted grades etc. However, I have realised that my academic interests don't really hold up with such low grades and I genuinely have nothing else to add to a personal statement: my work experience has been very general and I've never committed to an extra curricular activity. I was curious as to if this was a common occurrence or not. Thanks for reading x
Original post by Ihellow
While hoping to apply to university I relied quite a bit on my grades which didn't go to plan due to predicted grades etc. However, I have realised that my academic interests don't really hold up with such low grades and I genuinely have nothing else to add to a personal statement: my work experience has been very general and I've never committed to an extra curricular activity. I was curious as to if this was a common occurrence or not. Thanks for reading x

Have you already applied to uni or are going to apply?
Hi! What would you like to do at uni? Don’t worry about the predicted grades too much, they are what they are. My teacher told me that ‘it’s alright achieving predicted grades that are high and gets you into those universities you want but - think again , you actually need to achieve these grades’. So I thought that it was quite an eye opener because the last thing i want is to be stressed about achieving grades which there is a risk I wouldn’t get. Obviously I don’t know the context and how hard you work or whatever but that was just my experience.
In regards to extra curricular, I done practically nothing- sports wise/clubs after school. But I did do a lot of online courses like on Future learn , MOOC and all those free online course websites. You can also get a load of good things on YouTube. Just do what you like! These things would really help! Talk about your hobbies, if you have any like even if it’s stupid like “I have a interest in fitness and so In my free time I do running. It’s important to be healthy at university and this interest also exited me to join societies at uni” don’t write that but yeah 😂an example I guess
Work experience is great, not many people actually got it cause of lockdown. Definitely talk about it even if it’s general.
Try to link things back to your degree and maybe try the online course stuff related to what you want to do at uni. The low grades may suck but at least you can show a passion for what you want to do in some way. I applied to a uni which was pretty aspirational because it said STEM subject preferred ( I don’t take STEM subjects) and I’ve actually heard back from them - maybe because of the motivation to learn things outside of school
I hope this helped :smile:
Original post by J_220S
Hi! What would you like to do at uni? Don’t worry about the predicted grades too much, they are what they are. My teacher told me that ‘it’s alright achieving predicted grades that are high and gets you into those universities you want but - think again , you actually need to achieve these grades’. So I thought that it was quite an eye opener because the last thing i want is to be stressed about achieving grades which there is a risk I wouldn’t get. Obviously I don’t know the context and how hard you work or whatever but that was just my experience.
In regards to extra curricular, I done practically nothing- sports wise/clubs after school. But I did do a lot of online courses like on Future learn , MOOC and all those free online course websites. You can also get a load of good things on YouTube. Just do what you like! These things would really help! Talk about your hobbies, if you have any like even if it’s stupid like “I have a interest in fitness and so In my free time I do running. It’s important to be healthy at university and this interest also exited me to join societies at uni” don’t write that but yeah 😂an example I guess
Work experience is great, not many people actually got it cause of lockdown. Definitely talk about it even if it’s general.
Try to link things back to your degree and maybe try the online course stuff related to what you want to do at uni. The low grades may suck but at least you can show a passion for what you want to do in some way. I applied to a uni which was pretty aspirational because it said STEM subject preferred ( I don’t take STEM subjects) and I’ve actually heard back from them - maybe because of the motivation to learn things outside of school
I hope this helped :smile:

I agree doing stuff like MOOCs is quite helpful and there’s also a lot of essay competitions and opportunities for academic writing which will look good on the PS and not cost anything
Reply 4
If you think your predictions might be holding you back, you might want to consider applying on a gap year with your results in hand (if you think you can achieve the grades of course)
Reply 5
Original post by Mikos
If you think your predictions might be holding you back, you might want to consider applying on a gap year with your results in hand (if you think you can achieve the grades of course)

I've already technically achieved the two years of alevels. They were decided without me having sat any official exams due to the coronavirus situation and I received them in August. Sorry if this wasn't clear in my original message
Reply 6
Original post by pippin110
Have you already applied to uni or are going to apply?

I was hoping to apply this year, likely for a foundation year or access course. I had planned to apply last year and was all set but was told not to by my college.
Original post by Ihellow
I was hoping to apply this year, likely for a foundation year or access course. I had planned to apply last year and was all set but was told not to by my college.

For what subject?
Dw my friend, I have no GCSEs, no A Levels, no extra cirricular, nothing.
Doing an access course alongside GCSE english and maths at the moment. Currently have two offers from unis, Man met n birmingham city.
Reply 9
Original post by Ihellow
I've already technically achieved the two years of alevels. They were decided without me having sat any official exams due to the coronavirus situation and I received them in August. Sorry if this wasn't clear in my original message

Have you considered sitting the exams in summer?? They’re not considered resits by most universities

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending