milliebaudot
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I am currently in year 12 studying maths, geography and graphic design and I hope to study architecture at university in two years after sixth form. What kind of things can I do to start preparing now? Anything that would help me get onto a good architecture course? Thank you in advance
wizkid44
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Building up a good portfolio will definitely help you when it comes to uni. Are you looking at Cambridge?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by milliebaudot)
I am currently in year 12 studying maths, geography and graphic design and I hope to study architecture at university in two years after sixth form. What kind of things can I do to start preparing now? Anything that would help me get onto a good architecture course? Thank you in advance
Research.
Read up about the details of different courses (the ARB reviews are a useful read to understand the strengths and weaknesses of different courses).

“Visit” graduate shows to look at the quality and range of work produced by graduates. This year lots of universities have moved grad shows online so this is much easier than in the past.

Get your school/local library to subscribe to architecture magazines/journals and read them.

Get involved with riba events locally, nationally and online.

Draw and create. Develop your observational drawing, 3d modelling/sculpture and creative skills beyond your curriculum.
milliebaudot
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Research.
Read up about the details of different courses (the ARB reviews are a useful read to understand the strengths and weaknesses of different courses).

“Visit” graduate shows to look at the quality and range of work produced by graduates. This year lots of universities have moved grad shows online so this is much easier than in the past.

Get your school/local library to subscribe to architecture magazines/journals and read them.

Get involved with riba events locally, nationally and online.

Draw and create. Develop your observational drawing, 3d modelling/sculpture and creative skills beyond your curriculum.
thank you so much!!
milliebaudot
Rep:
?
(Original post by wizkid44)
Building up a good portfolio will definitely help you when it comes to uni. Are you looking at Cambridge?
Okay, thank you. and yeah but also Bath and Loughborough.
Loughborough University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by milliebaudot)
Hi milliebaudot,

It's great to hear that you're considering Loughborough and that you're seeking guidance on how to prepare for when you start applying to universities.

I've been in contact with our architecture department and they advise the following:

• Save material in preparation for a portfolio, this can be from GCSE work or through the graphic design qualification to be studied.
• Understand the role of the architect and what it means to them personally (look at architects and architects work, what do they like and why)
• Look into things like the Bartlett Summer School in Architecture
• Try and get work experience within a local architecture practice
• Sketch in your spare time, not just buildings anything that inspires

If you go onto our architecture website here, take a look at the 'Admissions and portfolio guidance' pdf document that you can download at the bottom of this site - this details information that you will find useful.

Wishing you all the best :thumbsup:
Bindu
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (437)
56.24%
I don't have everything I need (340)
43.76%

Watched Threads