What do Ivy league universities mean when they ask for school transcript?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Would my GCSEs be enough for the transcript? Or do they want the grade of every single mini topic assessment I’ve done in class?

Could I bypass giving them ALL of the grades I’ve achieved whilst in sixth form and only give the good grades and my GCSEs? I haven’t done AS.
dawnysaur
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
they mean the final end-of-the-year grade card. you could go talk to your counsellor (who is usually supposed to send them) to slightly tweak them. your transcript should include the us high school equivalents or from year 9 to 12. if your grades are dropping somewhere definitely send an explanation (if there’s a valid one).
kamara41
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
When my school submitted my transcript, it was my GCSEs and predicted A-level grades. That was sufficient for all 19 universities I applied to.
ry7xsfa
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by kamara41)
When my school submitted my transcript, it was my GCSEs and predicted A-level grades. That was sufficient for all 19 universities I applied to.
Was exactly the same here. There may have been a little more info about our system, but I'm not too sure - that probably would have been in the school profile.

I think GCSEs and predicted A-Levels should be fine.
S0FT
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ry7xsfa)
Was exactly the same here. There may have been a little more info about our system, but I'm not too sure - that probably would have been in the school profile.

I think GCSEs and predicted A-Levels should be fine.
(Original post by kamara41)
I applied to more than 10 unis outside the UK and have been working on those applications since March.
After discussions with the Admissions Team of several universities, I can confirm that GCSE’s and predicted grades are not enough in order to apply.

Your current transcript refers to all the reports you received for the past 4 years.
Your school profile refers to a signed and dated document from your school, explaining the British patterned educational system, along with statistics regarding grading and possible ranking.

In order to apply in the US you need :
- Current Transcript
- GCSE’s
- Predicted and/or Final A-Levels grades
- Essays
- Consellor + 2 Teachers Recommendation Letters
- Possible Interview (I already did 6)

Ivy League universities are very competitive (their acceptance rate is around 5%) and it is very likely that if you don’t have a 100% completed application, they won’t even bother looking at it.

I hope I helped,
Good luck.
ry7xsfa
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by S0FT)
I applied to more than 10 unis outside the UK and have been working on those applications since March.
After discussions with the Admissions Team of several universities, I can confirm that GCSE’s and predicted grades are not enough in order to apply.

Your current transcript refers to all the reports you received for the past 4 years.
Your school profile refers to a signed and dated document from your school, explaining the British patterned educational system, along with statistics regarding grading and possible ranking.

In order to apply in the US you need :
- Current Transcript
- GCSE’s
- Predicted and/or Final A-Levels grades
- Essays
- Consellor + 2 Teachers Recommendation Letters
- Possible Interview (I already did 6)

Ivy League universities are very competitive (their acceptance rate is around 5%) and it is very likely that if you don’t have a 100% completed application, they won’t even bother looking at it.

I hope I helped,
Good luck.
Of course you need the other things too. OP specifically asked about the transcript, so that's the info I gave. Personally, at my school, we were never officially given "current" grades in years 10 or 12, or even in 11 or 13 before exams, so my transcript didn't include those (year 10 grades formed predicted GCSE, and year 12 predicted A-Level).

Additionally, not all schools require 2 recommendation letters. The Ivies do, but this isn't blanket policy. Some only require one, some will require more than two.

Interviews aren't essential in most cases (the exception usually being if you're applying for some merit-based scholarships). US unis know that not everybody will be able to interview and you are not penalised if you can't/don't.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (76)
63.33%
I don't have everything I need (44)
36.67%

Watched Threads