?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Synthetic polymers - chemistry
Dee-Emma
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is that even true. Many plastics have been removed from certain applications or are required to be treated with protecting agent before being used in consumer product because of their flammability. Expanded polystyrene, polyurethane foam, nylon textiles even pvc cable insulation all have fire risk issues.
chanelhsl
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Dee-Emma)
Is that even true. Many plastics have been removed from certain applications or are required to be treated with protecting agent before being used in consumer product because of their flammability. Expanded polystyrene, polyurethane foam, nylon textiles even pvc cable insulation all have fire risk issues.
It took me like an hour to research (but still no clear answer to my question) but basically LDPE products have high flammability but *types* HDPE plastics have lower flammability. My chem teacher b playing games
Claisen
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Look at intermolecular forces, HDPE/LDPE packing and how dipole-dipole/van Der Waal attractions differ.

These are hydrocarbon polymers, we use hydrocarbons as fuels essentially... Polymers are only dangerous once a temperature is reached that allows decomposition and ignition of the respective monomer (over simplification).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (37)
17.45%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (62)
29.25%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (82)
38.68%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (26)
12.26%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.36%

Watched Threads