Funding for second Bachelors - BSc Mental Health Nursing

Watch
persephone_
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi!

I have already completed a BA in Comparative Literature, which was funded with Student Finance grants and loans. I called Student Finance today and was told that, despite being a healthcare course, nursing is not classed as an exemption - which frankly doesn't sound right, and the person I spoke to did not sound particularly certain, rather was just reading off a list of exemption courses, from which the only healthcare one she mentioned was 'studying to be a doctor or dentist', as opposed to the 'medicine and allied subjects' listed on the Student Finance website.

I just wanted to clarify - would I not be eligible for any funding to study BSc Mental Health Nursing as a second undergraduate degree?

Thanks!
Last edited by persephone_; 1 month ago
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by persephone_)
Hi!

I have already completed a BA in Comparative Literature, which was funded with Student Finance grants and loans. I called Student Finance today and was told that, despite being a healthcare course, nursing is not classed as an exemption - which frankly doesn't sound right, and the person I spoke to did not sound particularly certain, rather was just reading off a list of exemption courses, from which the only healthcare one she mentioned was 'studying to be a doctor or dentist', as opposed to the 'medicine and allied subjects' listed on the Student Finance website.

I just wanted to clarify - would I not be eligible for any funding to study BSc Mental Health Nursing as a second undergraduate degree?

Thanks!
Hi, as long as you are not already registered as a Mental Health Nurse then you will be eligible to receive full funding as this is an exception course. Your previous study will not affect your eligibility.

Additionally you may also be eligible to receive the NHS Grant https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/nhs-learni...training-grant - if you are eligible for this Grant, it doesn't affect the amount of funding you can receive from SFE.
Thanks, Isaac
persephone_
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
Hi, as long as you are not already registered as a Mental Health Nurse then you will be eligible to receive full funding as this is an exception course. Your previous study will not affect your eligibility.

Additionally you may also be eligible to receive the NHS Grant https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/nhs-learni...training-grant - if you are eligible for this Grant, it doesn't affect the amount of funding you can receive from SFE.
Thanks, Isaac
Thank you very much Isaac! That was the impression I had, I was just very thrown by the woman I spoke to saying otherwise. Thank you for confirming.
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by persephone_)
Thank you very much Isaac! That was the impression I had, I was just very thrown by the woman I spoke to saying otherwise. Thank you for confirming.
You're welcome
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (313)
55.99%
I don't have everything I need (246)
44.01%

Watched Threads