The Student Room Group

Applying to uni when you don't think you will get in?

Hey, I want to study vet med at nottingham. I am a mature student (21) and only started doing my A levels 2 weeks ago (Chem, Bio and Math) with the aim to take them July21.
I took math A level at school and got a C (predicted A*) so technically this is a resit. The reason for it was poor mental health, my attendance was 40% and I didn't do any revision (so I was pretty impressed I even got a C lol).
I know I will meet/exceed the entry requirements for the course, I'm predicting A*AA and I need AAB.
The trouble is, I am self-teaching so I don't have any proof that I will get these grades , I also dropped a grade on my GCSEs so am one grade under what they want for that too (same reasons). To me this just screams that there is no way I will get in, I also thought deadline to apply was January but I missed it back in October so my application will be late anyway.

I'm just really disheartened at the thought of waiting yet another year to apply. I had really syked myself up to go september 21.
Any advice please?
Original post by #E#
Hey, I want to study vet med at nottingham. I am a mature student (21) and only started doing my A levels 2 weeks ago (Chem, Bio and Math) with the aim to take them July21.
I took math A level at school and got a C (predicted A*) so technically this is a resit. The reason for it was poor mental health, my attendance was 40% and I didn't do any revision (so I was pretty impressed I even got a C lol).
I know I will meet/exceed the entry requirements for the course, I'm predicting A*AA and I need AAB.
The trouble is, I am self-teaching so I don't have any proof that I will get these grades , I also dropped a grade on my GCSEs so am one grade under what they want for that too (same reasons). To me this just screams that there is no way I will get in, I also thought deadline to apply was January but I missed it back in October so my application will be late anyway.

I'm just really disheartened at the thought of waiting yet another year to apply. I had really syked myself up to go september 21.
Any advice please?

All three of their Vet Med programmes look to have a deadline date of 15th October. I understand that veterinary progs tend to be massively oversubscribed so in all honesty I don't think they'll accept any late applications. You could call them to double check though. Most likely you'll have to apply next year with achieved grades.

When you speak to them, ask if they would consider your app if you apply having met their AL requirements but not their GCSE ones. You can make them aware that you had mitigating circumstances with regards to your health, but I think they would expect you to have/or be retaking the required subjects. Again, this might be an automatic no from them. Not what you want to hear, but at least you will know where you stand and what you need to do next.

For reference:

"Five GCSEs at grade 7 (A), including biology and chemistry (or double science or core science, additional science, further additional science) and either physics or maths. GCSE grade 6 (B) in English language and maths."

"You must meet the minimum academic requirements as well as demonstrating the appropriate attributes required to be a veterinary professional."
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
All three of their Vet Med programmes look to have a deadline date of 15th October. I understand that veterinary progs tend to be massively oversubscribed so in all honesty I don't think they'll accept any late applications. You could call them to double check though. Most likely you'll have to apply next year with achieved grades.

When you speak to them, ask if they would consider your app if you apply having met their AL requirements but not their GCSE ones. You can make them aware that you had mitigating circumstances with regards to your health, but I think they would expect you to have/or be retaking the required subjects. Again, this might be an automatic no from them. Not what you want to hear, but at least you will know where you stand and what you need to do next.

For reference:

"Five GCSEs at grade 7 (A), including biology and chemistry (or double science or core science, additional science, further additional science) and either physics or maths. GCSE grade 6 (B) in English language and maths."

"You must meet the minimum academic requirements as well as demonstrating the appropriate attributes required to be a veterinary professional."

Thanks for the reply. I really really don't want to wait another year to go, I can't believe I missed the deadline!
The only GCSE I'm missing is the further additional at an A (I have a B). All my other GCSEs are A*/A. Surely if I get an A/A* in my bio/chem A levels, one GCSE won't matter?! The whole system seems so flawed and totally bias against independent candidates, wish there was another way to apply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending