The Student Room Group

I hate my body

My body is so sh*tty, I’ve hated it since I was 15. I’m 18 now and I thought I would’ve grown and gained some fat but no.

Everything about it is the complete opposite of what people like, I have small boobs, a small bum, no hips, small thighs. People try to tell me I should be happy with my body because it’s ideal (model body) but that’s just what the media try to tell people, when guys prefer thick girls. I’ll never be thick, I just cannot gain weight, and I feel like I’ll never find anyone who likes my body. I’ve seen threads on here where guys have said they would prefer a girl who has an average face with a nice body over a girl with a pretty face and an ugly body, so it just shows how much body is important to them. Everywhere you look a thick hourglass body is what people like, Instagram, anime, songs, tiktok. I don’t know how anyone is gonna like me.

Scroll to see replies

Delete social media first of all, you see those hourglass bodies because you WANT to see them. There are so many skinny girls and so many people struggle to eat, but use the time you complain to maybe just.. change? Watch videos on how to slowly start eating more (3 meals and 3 snacks a day), exercise, do things that make you happy. But start with social media, not everywhere you look there are thick hourglass bodies, you’re just looking in the wrong place cause I see none
Original post by Anonymous
My body is so sh*tty, I’ve hated it since I was 15. I’m 18 now and I thought I would’ve grown and gained some fat but no.

Everything about it is the complete opposite of what people like, I have small boobs, a small bum, no hips, small thighs. People try to tell me I should be happy with my body because it’s ideal (model body) but that’s just what the media try to tell people, when guys prefer thick girls. I’ll never be thick, I just cannot gain weight, and I feel like I’ll never find anyone who likes my body. I’ve seen threads on here where guys have said they would prefer a girl who has an average face with a nice body over a girl with a pretty face and an ugly body, so it just shows how much body is important to them. Everywhere you look a thick hourglass body is what people like, Instagram, anime, songs, tiktok. I don’t know how anyone is gonna like me.

Look, this will sound silly but
everyone likes who they like. eg some people love gingernuts and i cannot stand them. Does that make gingernuts less worthy? No. Your body is the exact same. If its that important for you to know that someone will like your body- I can guarantee that they will.

I'm kind the reverse of you, i'm not the biggest fan of my body because despite not being fat-fat, im a bit overweight and I struggle to lose weight and keep a lower one. Instead of feeling *****y and hating my body I decided to take a different approach. Instead of LOVING your body, instead try to find things you're grateful for your body. e.g. you went for a run, struggled yet you got home fine-mentally thatk your body. I'm not a fan of long walks but when i go on them i realise that i probably wouldn't be able to walk as long if i hads thinner legs etc.
Instead of focusing on LOVING your body, try to find reasons not to hate it. Take it one step at a time
Reply 3
Delete social media first of all, you see those hourglass bodies because you WANT to see them. There are so many skinny girls and so many people struggle to eat, but use the time you complain to maybe just.. change? Watch videos on how to slowly start eating more (3 meals and 3 snacks a day), exercise, do things that make you happy. But start with social media, not everywhere you look there are thick hourglass bodies, you’re just looking in the wrong place cause I see none

Thanks for the advice, I’d like to delete social media but I just can’t, it’s difficult. It’s really rude that you just assume that I have an eating disorder though ... I don’t. I eat 3 meals a day. :/ And yes you might not see those bodies, but there’s no denying that’s the ideal, because I see that body everywhere, and no I don’t want to see them. It makes me feel insecure and upset that I don’t look like that, so why would I want to see them?
Reply 4
Original post by esmithangie
Look, this will sound silly but
everyone likes who they like. eg some people love gingernuts and i cannot stand them. Does that make gingernuts less worthy? No. Your body is the exact same. If its that important for you to know that someone will like your body- I can guarantee that they will.

I'm kind the reverse of you, i'm not the biggest fan of my body because despite not being fat-fat, im a bit overweight and I struggle to lose weight and keep a lower one. Instead of feeling *****y and hating my body I decided to take a different approach. Instead of LOVING your body, instead try to find things you're grateful for your body. e.g. you went for a run, struggled yet you got home fine-mentally thatk your body. I'm not a fan of long walks but when i go on them i realise that i probably wouldn't be able to walk as long if i hads thinner legs etc.
Instead of focusing on LOVING your body, try to find reasons not to hate it. Take it one step at a time

Ofc, I’m not at all bashing men for their preference, I totally understand. Thanks for the advice though. :smile: You’re absolutely right, it’s important to be grateful for your body, but at the same time I just can’t help it. I wish I could love my body but I just don’t know how to. I’ll try the things you’ve said though, like thanking my body for carrying me and stuff like that.
My body is far from anyone’s ideal type. I have a small ass, skinny legs, pregnant belly and so much back and armpit fat. And a really chubby face. I have been bullied many times for my weight and I struggled with losing weight for such a long time. I hated looking at my body, I felt disgusted at myself at how my body is so disproportionate. It was only a month ago, I decided to be kinder to myself. The only reason I feel like this is because of other people giving their unwarranted opinions. We all have different body types and that’s okay. People should not judge others for their weight because they have no idea what the other person is going through. I eat unhealthy food cause it’s the only thing that distracts me from the intense emptiness I feel everyday. Why am I gonna hate my body just cause other people don’t understand and think it’s disgusting? It’s not my problem
Reply 6
Thank you, I appreciate that. :smile:
To be honest, the grass is always greener on the other side. All I see is gorgeous tall and skinny models on things like Instagram, so I think you’re always going to pay attention to what you don’t have on social media. Which sucks, but hopefully it’s something we can grow out of. I’m getting better at it at least. I think it’s just something that has to come from you, because it’s hard to just take a random person’s advice and suddenly start loving yourself. As for social media, something I’ve noticed is that the more you look at these girls you idolise, the more they’ll show up on your feed which is not ideal ahah, so try and click on them less. Hope everything gets better for you :smile: but yeah everyone’s right when they say loads of guys will love your body- trust me, they will!!
I’d rather have your body shape than mine any day. Being ‘thicc’ isn’t always having a thin waist and big bum and big boobs and only a small handful of people have that body shape. I put on weight on my stomach and boobs and never on my bum which I hate and it’s so hard to make sure I don’t put on weight so just think as long as you’re healthy, who cares? The right person will like you for you and not your body.

girl noooo don't say tht! You're probably prettier than u think! f the media, f society in general and don't worry abt wht guys prefer. Half of them don't even moisturise their face (am I wrong tho?)
Better skinny than obese like me. I have a super low metabolism so I'll gain weight unless I literally eat 1500 calories or less. It must be awesome to eat whatever you want without worrying about weight.
Original post by Moonlight rain
My body is far from anyone’s ideal type. I have a small ass, skinny legs, pregnant belly and so much back and armpit fat. And a really chubby face. I have been bullied many times for my weight and I struggled with losing weight for such a long time. I hated looking at my body, I felt disgusted at myself at how my body is so disproportionate. It was only a month ago, I decided to be kinder to myself. The only reason I feel like this is because of other people giving their unwarranted opinions. We all have different body types and that’s okay. People should not judge others for their weight because they have no idea what the other person is going through. I eat unhealthy food cause it’s the only thing that distracts me from the intense emptiness I feel everyday. Why am I gonna hate my body just cause other people don’t understand and think it’s disgusting? It’s not my problem

To be honest, the grass is always greener on the other side. All I see is gorgeous tall and skinny models on things like Instagram, so I think you’re always going to pay attention to what you don’t have on social media. Which sucks, but hopefully it’s something we can grow out of. I’m getting better at it at least. I think it’s just something that has to come from you, because it’s hard to just take a random person’s advice and suddenly start loving yourself. As for social media, something I’ve noticed is that the more you look at these girls you idolise, the more they’ll show up on your feed which is not ideal ahah, so try and click on them less. Hope everything gets better for you :smile: but yeah everyone’s right when they say loads of guys will love your body- trust me, they will!!

I’d rather have your body shape than mine any day. Being ‘thicc’ isn’t always having a thin waist and big bum and big boobs and only a small handful of people have that body shape. I put on weight on my stomach and boobs and never on my bum which I hate and it’s so hard to make sure I don’t put on weight so just think as long as you’re healthy, who cares? The right person will like you for you and not your body.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your advice. Honestly I’ve always been insecure but I was especially feeling it today and your comments have been really nice and I appreciate it. <3
Better skinny than obese like me. I have a super low metabolism so I'll gain weight unless I literally eat 1500 calories or less. It must be awesome to eat whatever you want without worrying about weight.

Please don’t bring yourself down just to uplift me! I bet you’re absolutely beautiful. Being able to eat what I want just means it won’t show on the outside, but it will still cause me problems on the inside and I’ll be unhealthy. You have a good diet. :smile:
I'm overweight and has insecurities too. I like to conceal it with fake confidence to not worry people, to not be too negative, to not self pity and to motivate those who has insecurities too with their bodies but sometimes, just like you, they were times that it gets to me hard

Confidence and self acceptance isn't easy to achieve
not all guys want a thick body, and secondly once you feel more confident with yourself.... confidence can be sexy to them just as much as looks. You'll never please everyone with your body, youre either to0 thin or fat, too tall, too short, too bigger boobs, too smaller boobs, not enough bum, tooo much bumb... the list goes on. Perfection does not exist!! xx

how do you know you have low metabolism? I'm wondering if I have this too
Work on trying to respect your body and all it does for you. It's a long old road, but rewarding. It's doing its best to house you. Be kind to it and yourself.

Everything about it is the complete opposite of what people like, I have small boobs, a small bum, no hips, small thighs.

You have the most sexy body type possible.

Caterham 7's are way more fun than Cadillac DeVilles.
Big limousines are great for comfort. But when you want something that'll brush off the cobwebs, get your heart racing and put a huge grin on your face, lean, taut and light is the way to go. Based on my admittedly somewhat limited anecdotal evidence.

The issue here is between your ears. It's not between your chin and your toes.
I'm really sorry you feel this way, it breaks my heart.

The one thing I've found really useful is to find an area of fashion and go really abstract with it in my clothing. It's difficult to word. I struggle with liking my own body and so I buy really funky and wacky earrings so there's some part of my body that people's attention is drawn to - eventually, that confidence has begun to trickle down to being confident and accepting the entirety of my body. It sounds vain and disgusting, but the compliments I receive for my earrings make me feel really good about myself - people think I look good! It takes away attention from the factors that I think people will judge me for, and then the positive energy I receive for the earrings makes me forget about the insecurities. This may not be complete of use as it's a bit silly and relies on the opinions of other people, but I've found it useful. It makes me excited to take pictures of my outfits just to show off my earrings - I have started looking in the mirror more just to look at them and how unique they are, which means I'm getting used to thinking positively when I'm actually looking at myself.

Another thing I've found to have really made me feel better is the people I surround myself with. I used to restrict my eating due to body image around my old group because I felt embarrassed, but my new group of people don't make comments about my food or clothing size, and I don't feel guilty for giving my body nutrients. Basically, the people around you can have a real impact on the way you see yourself, even if you didn't realise it. I didn't realise I was comparing myself to them until that friendship dissolved! The people around me now are so body positive and accepting, it really does make a change.

All bodies are beautiful. YOU are beautiful. If you ever need a friend feel free to message me, I'm always up for a chat. I wish I could give you the biggest hug ever.
Focus on your ambitions, a positive attitude, improving your finances and moving towards the future that you want. :smile:
Life is too short to waste valuable time on powerful negative emotions like hate.
Different guys have different sexual preferences and beauty standards.
I'm not into the thicc look and have never dated any guys who liked it.
I'm not attracted to bodybuilders or overweight guys and none of my exes were attracted to plump or overweight women.

Remember that your self-esteem and happiness don't depend upon male admiration.
Switch your emphasis to what you are looking for in life, a partner and relationship.
Your dating preferences and dealbreakers.

I'm 5'1, average looking and don't leave home without wearing makeup.
I am size 8 and weigh below 100lbs the same weight that I was as a 13 year old.
I'm happily single, working four jobs and not looking to hookup or date.
My profiles make it clear that I am only interested in chatting & making friends online.
I stay away from facebook, tinder, whatsapp and shapchat.
But I still get plenty of messages from flirty and thirsty guys.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending