MJA2802
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Worried about ucas plagiarism. I have wrote my personal statement for economics and worried about being similar to someone else’s because surely eventually someone will talk about the same topic as me. For example I talk about current affairs and the economist in the same sentence which is highly likely someone else has and looking online people have wrote about current affairs and the economist. Also I chose to write about game theory another common topic to talk about. Surely there’s a chance someone has talked about current affairs the economist game theory and the book I chose as further reading and then this will flag as plagiarism
MJA2802
Rep:
?
I also ran it through a online plagiarism checker, would this come up on the Ucas system
HoldThisL
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
you're 17/18. nothing you write in your personal statement will be original but that doesn't make it plagiarism

plagiarism isn't binary either - everyone's statements (and work at university) gets a non-zero score for plagiarism. ucas only flag it if its a high score

you'll be fine
MJA2802
Rep:
?
@HoldThisL what about the free online plagiarism checker I used, should I be concerned ?
Last edited by MJA2802; 7 months ago
MJA2802
Rep:
?
Would talking about game theory run the risk of being flagged as plagiarism as it’s used in loads of economics personal statements. I used it and already sent it off so can’t do anything about it
QWERTY43211234
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by MJA2802)
Would talking about game theory run the risk of being flagged as plagiarism as it’s used in loads of economics personal statements. I used it and already sent it off so can’t do anything about it
No that’s absolutely not true, Unless you’ve copied the part on game theory from someone else’s Statement.
MJA2802
Rep:
?
@QWERTY43211234 but every description including mine of game theory will be the same or similar on economic personal statements
MJA2802
Rep:
?
I talk about game theory and maths in economics which anyone talking about game theory will and I talk about oligopolies and game theory as that’s in my alevel course as anyone else would who chooses to talk about it
QWERTY43211234
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
@QWERTY43211234 but every description including mine of game theory will be the same or similar on economic personal statements
Unless you have directly copied someone else’s Statement you need not worry about plagiarism. The ucas plagiarism checker will flag your part on game theory only if it’s word for word , on the same sentence number etc etc as someone else’s statement , so you have no reason to be worried unless you have directly copied someone else’s.

The fact that there are so many statements that have been on game theory and haven’t been flagged for plagiarism is testament to this.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
As long as its your writing it should be fine. If you've copied or paraphrased another source closely then it would get picked up.
MJA2802
Rep:
?
@mnot my point was they are so similar which is unavoidable because there’s only so much which can be said about it , it is my own writing but it’s so similar to other personal statements when looking back just because there is nothing else to talk about it
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
@mnot my point was they are so similar which is unavoidable because there’s only so much which can be said about it , it is my own writing but it’s so similar to other personal statements when looking back just because there is nothing else to talk about it
The chances of several consecutive sentences all using the same nouns and verbs in a similar pattern are more different then you think. If it is your own writing I highly doubt it gets picked up. Its when people start paraphrasing other peoples writing that the issue is more likely to arrive
Panjsuce
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I didn’t know it was used in loads???!! I used it in mine?
k86754
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
UCAS understands that a lot of people will talk about the same topics and ideas, as well as repeating the same phrases. Therefore, their plagiarism detector only flags your statement if a certain % if plagiarised, which I'm pretty sure is 10%.
Interrobang
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
You'll have to check the website's privacy/terms and conditions but most plagiarism sites (assuming they are legitimate) are probably OK. It's pointless using one though as they do not check against PSs that have been submitted.

It doesn't matter if you write about common topics/resources. The UCAS plagiarism software is clever and very few PSs get highlighted for plagiarism - only if you genuinely have copied or reworded something
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (73)
23.03%
Excited but a bit nervous (142)
44.79%
Not bothered either way (38)
11.99%
I'm really nervous (64)
20.19%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed