The Student Room Group

how do i get better in English language gcse?

hey guys, I'm a year 10 student and i really want to improve my English. At school, we just did a piece of creative writing and i got given a 5-6, but I am really aiming to get a 7 or 8.
I am in top set English, but the teacher just blabbers on a lot of the time and she's not a great teacher (that's what everyone has said).
how do I improve??
I know it's late but I have started to read a lot more.
I'm struggling with creative writing and analysis. (all of paper 1, basically).
what should I do?
I'm trying to get advice from many different people and see what other people said and put their ideas together.
thank you so so much !!
Original post by Kyungsooisbae
I did my GCSE back in the days of the old grade system in 2016 and got an A* so I hope this is still helpful and relevant. I can't stress how important reading is to improve in English. If you are not reading a lot (at least 1 decent sized novel a month ) outside of the reading in class, it'll be hard to improve. So read, read and read. For creative writing try to keep it as easy to read as possible not forgetting to have all the necessary elements e.g. a plot if it's a short story or imagery if its poetry..... For analysis just write all your answers using the PEEL format for the question P = point(Answer to the question in one sentence) E= Evidence(quote) E= (explanation of how the evidence proves the point) L = link (link back to question and overall themes)
Its been a while since I have done English at school (didn't take it further after GCSEs) but I hope this helps!!!

What books would you recommend to improve in English?
Original post by Kyungsooisbae
I did my GCSE back in the days of the old grade system in 2016 and got an A* so I hope this is still helpful and relevant. I can't stress how important reading is to improve in English. If you are not reading a lot (at least 1 decent sized novel a month ) outside of the reading in class, it'll be hard to improve. So read, read and read. For creative writing try to keep it as easy to read as possible not forgetting to have all the necessary elements e.g. a plot if it's a short story or imagery if its poetry..... For analysis just write all your answers using the PEEL format for the question P = point(Answer to the question in one sentence) E= Evidence(quote) E= (explanation of how the evidence proves the point) L = link (link back to question and overall themes)
Its been a while since I have done English at school (didn't take it further after GCSEs) but I hope this helps!!!

i have just started reading the harry potter series, i read the first novel within a week and i can already see how much my english is improving !! ik this may sound a tab bit stupid, but whenever you see a hard word ( or a word you don't know) in a book, do you have to look it up? like is that REALLY necessary ? or will you understand what the word means over time??

Quick Reply

Latest