Can you balance hobbies with GCSEs?

Watch
softskiies
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I'm in year 10 and my hobby is drawing. Is it possible to balance hobbies with studying and still get good grades? How?
XHannahR
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes..good time management is key. Why do you think you wouldn’t manage it?
SneezyPanda
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi!
Are you taking Art, Design, or any other artsy coursework subject as one of your GCSEs? If you are they you may find it difficult to find time to do your own art in between the art for your GCSE work on top of revision and homework. GCSE work should always take priority and you could always try implementing the type of art you like to do into your GCSE sketchbook.

If you are not taking an artsy subject then congrats you may actually have time to do your own art. Manage your time correctly. Ensure all homework is done first and allocate a certain number of hours a week to revision.

Having a hobby and doing GCSEs is totally doable. I did my GCSEs in 2019 and left with 7 grade 9s (including in Art), a grade 7 and a distinction* (in fashion) whilst doing 10 hours dance a week and kickboxing. I had to sacrifice my own personal art by instead relating my coursework to my interests but the stress was worth it. Just don't overdo yourself and good luck!
lucyameliax
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
to be quite frank, you need to have hobbies in balance with your gcses.
especially in year 10, you're going to burn yourself out if all you do is revise. dont worry about gcses too much for now.
instead, go over things you didn't quite understand after the school day and make flashcards or notes on key terms so you can remember them.
revise for mini exams, make your notes all pretty
proper gcse revision isnt needed until October-November of year 11!!
have fun
laurawatt
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah, I did extracurriculars most evenings and did clubs in school a few times a week too during Y10/11 and managed to balance my time fine, you just need to work around your hobbies
lucyameliax
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by laurawatt)
Yeah, I did extracurriculars most evenings and did clubs in school a few times a week too during Y10/11 and managed to balance my time fine, you just need to work around your hobbies
this.
FatYikes
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would say that in year 10 you can certainly afford to spend time on the things you love, and extra curriculars can really help when it comes to personal statements for colleges/sixth forms/universities, as well as making friends. Time management is key aka making sure you can get sufficient time for homework and revision in. In year 10 I think that there is still plenty of room to have fun and not stress, and I think something like drawing which doesn't require a regular commitment will certainly be more than manageable.
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
yes, definitely! i'd say it's ideal to have something to focus on outside your academic work so you get a good work-life balance.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (285)
56.21%
I don't have everything I need (222)
43.79%

Watched Threads