What subject do i drop if i drop one at all?

Watch
hello17375
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
so i’m doing politics, history, economics and maths. I want to apply to do PPE at oxford but just politics and economics at other unis as oxford lets you drop one subject after the first year if you like. i was planning on just doing economics to AS but i’m realising that i’m actually pretty good at economics and i’m worried it might look strange if i drop politics or economics when my school offers it and i want to do these subjects at university. i don’t have any intention of dropping history or maths at all really, i feel like they’re more credible as academic subjects and many universities require you to have maths anyways . sorry this is long and convoluted !! oh and i’m in year 12 if that means anything to you
hello17375
Rep:
?
(Original post by hello17375)
so i’m doing politics, history, economics and maths. I want to apply to do PPE at oxford but just politics and economics at other unis as oxford lets you drop one subject after the first year if you like. i was planning on just doing economics to AS but i’m realising that i’m actually pretty good at economics and i’m worried it might look strange if i drop politics or economics when my school offers it and i want to do these subjects at university. i don’t have any intention of dropping history or maths at all really, i feel like they’re more credible as academic subjects and many universities require you to have maths anyways . sorry this is long and convoluted !! oh and i’m in year 12 if that means anything to you
also i actually really enjoy all of my subjects! doesn’t help this situation at all
0le
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you are doing well in all of them and you enjoy all the subjects, you can do 4 A-Levels . It is usually advised to do three because of the workload, but it is certainly possible to do 4 as long as you remain organized and committed. It is not an easy thing to do though so be careful when making a decision.

If you do want to drop a subject, then drop the subject that you struggle with the most, even if "struggle" just means getting say 70% instead of 80%. Just make sure you still meet the entry requirements for the degree.
sunflowerhouses
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
a year 13 here! i'd personally say that it doesn't make sense to me why you would drop economics a level if you want to do it at university - dropping it would definitely look strange. if it's because you aren't enjoying it, you should probably evaluate if it's really what you want to do at uni.
i'd say dropping maths would be the way to go, as this one doesn't relate as strongly to your degree subjects as the others (though i'm saying that having not actually studied any of these subjects at a level, so you know best). i'd also say that, although maths is a respected a level course, i'm pretty sure you wouldn't need it as a required subject when considering your degree choice. maybe get in contact with the university admissions people to see if they can advise you?
hopefully this was helpful!
hello17375
Rep:
?
(Original post by sunflowerhouses)
a year 13 here! i'd personally say that it doesn't make sense to me why you would drop economics a level if you want to do it at university - dropping it would definitely look strange. if it's because you aren't enjoying it, you should probably evaluate if it's really what you want to do at uni.
i'd say dropping maths would be the way to go, as this one doesn't relate as strongly to your degree subjects as the others (though i'm saying that having not actually studied any of these subjects at a level, so you know best). i'd also say that, although maths is a respected a level course, i'm pretty sure you wouldn't need it as a required subject when considering your degree choice. maybe get in contact with the university admissions people to see if they can advise you?
hopefully this was helpful!
thanks for the advice! although maths is a requirement for a lot of universities to study economics so i don't think i'llbe dropping maths... i may well get in contact with university admissions people though, so thanks! i hadnt thought of that lol
hello17375
Rep:
?
(Original post by 0le)
If you are doing well in all of them and you enjoy all the subjects, you can do 4 A-Levels . It is usually advised to do three because of the workload, but it is certainly possible to do 4 as long as you remain organized and committed. It is not an easy thing to do though so be careful when making a decision.

If you do want to drop a subject, then drop the subject that you struggle with the most, even if "struggle" just means getting say 70% instead of 80%. Just make sure you still meet the entry requirements for the degree.
hm yeah... i might wait to make a decision until we get some more concrete grades because i dont think your first essay or test is a great indicator then. if it doesn't seem to be a compromise of grades for me to drop one then I might take an AS in one of my subjects just in case i get a few months into year 13 and realise that it is in fact too much
ausher
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As the subject you are applying to is PPE the only subject that it would really make sense to drop is history, but also I'm in year 13 and I'm still doing 4 A-levels. There's no pressure to drop a subject this early in year 12 and even if at the beginning of year 13 you decide it's too much you can still choose to do an AS in year 13 rather than year 12.
sunflowerhouses
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
thanks for the advice! although maths is a requirement for a lot of universities to study economics so i don't think i'llbe dropping maths... i may well get in contact with university admissions people though, so thanks! i hadnt thought of that lol
cool, best of luck! and yeah i didn't know about that maths requirement haha
_gracecharlie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you were going to drop one, I'd drop politics. Many schools don't offer it so it will never be an a level universities ask for- history is a good background for studying politics at a later date so you won't be disadvantaged. Most PPE courses will ask for maths or history if they ask for any subjects specifically (I say this as someone who has applied for PPE with maths, history and philosophy)- they're looking for bright students who can write essays and handle numbers not necessarily people who already know loads about politics, philosophy or economics.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (398)
56.29%
I don't have everything I need (309)
43.71%

Watched Threads