Anonymous162223
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Please could someone tell me the difference between the accounting course and the business+accounting course?
MindMax2000
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Where it says 'and' in degree titles, it means it will include modules from both disciplines.

From what I can tell from how the units are comprised, accounting and finance is more focused on accounting and financial reporting, whereas business management and accounting and finance looks more into accounting and the business environment. The former will be good for financial accounting roles, whereas the latter will be better for management accounting. The number of accreditations for both degrees is ridiculous though.

Both degrees will include elements of accounting and finance, but depending on the modules you take.

With any business management degree, you will learn a host of things related to business in general e.g. marketing, enterprise, strategy, as well as accounting. The subjects won't be in a lot of depth, so don't expect it to be at the same level as a marketing qualification.

If you intend to become an accountant after the degree, I recommend looking into the professional bodies and what exemptions you will get for certain modules. The choice of professional body will depend on what sort of accounting profession you want to go into, and what sort of employer you want to work for.
Anonymous162223
Rep:
?
(Original post by MindMax2000)
Where it says 'and' in degree titles, it means it will include modules from both disciplines.

From what I can tell from how the units are comprised, accounting and finance is more focused on accounting and financial reporting, whereas business management and accounting and finance looks more into accounting and the business environment. The former will be good for financial accounting roles, whereas the latter will be better for management accounting. The number of accreditations for both degrees is ridiculous though.

Both degrees will include elements of accounting and finance, but depending on the modules you take.

With any business management degree, you will learn a host of things related to business in general e.g. marketing, enterprise, strategy, as well as accounting. The subjects won't be in a lot of depth, so don't expect it to be at the same level as a marketing qualification.

If you intend to become an accountant after the degree, I recommend looking into the professional bodies and what exemptions you will get for certain modules. The choice of professional body will depend on what sort of accounting profession you want to go into, and what sort of employer you want to work for.
Hi, Thanks for your reply! What do you mean when you say that "the number of accreditations for both degrees is ridiculous"?

Also, how can I find out how many exemeptions each module offers?
MindMax2000
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous162223)
Hi, Thanks for your reply! What do you mean when you say that "the number of accreditations for both degrees is ridiculous"?

Also, how can I find out how many exemeptions each module offers?
If you scroll down to the section where it says which boards the course and university is accredited by, you will see that the course is accredited by the 3 UK accounting bodies and Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Society. The school is then accredited by AACSB (business leadership) and Equis (quality assurance). The school is also mentioned as a school in the FT's European School rankings. Other than the 3 accounting bodies and CFA, I don't think the rest will be of much relevance to you.

To see which modules will be accredited by the accounting bodies, you need to go to their individual website, and see what exemptions you can get for the degree you think you're applying for.
ACCA: https://www.accaglobal.com/an/en/hel...alculator.html
ICAEW: https://apps.icaew.com/cpldirectory
CIMA: https://www.cimaglobal.com/Starting-...niversity-220/

I am not sure about the CFA exemptions, as I can't find it on the CFA website. You might want to check with the university to be sure. If they do offer exemptions for the CFA, it's likely to be for the Investment Management Certificate (IMC).

Note: when you apply for exemptions with the accounting boards, you will need to pay an exemption fee for each module you're exempt for (don't ask me why) as well as providing proof of you passing the modules.
If you want to be member/qualified with more than one accounting body for whatever reason, it will make more sense to obtain one accounting qualification before apply for exemptions and becoming member of another e.g. qualify with ACCA before applying for exemptions with CIMA. That way, you get more exemptions than if you went with your degree.
Anonymous162223
Rep:
?
(Original post by MindMax2000)
If you scroll down to the section where it says which boards the course and university is accredited by, you will see that the course is accredited by the 3 UK accounting bodies and Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Society. The school is then accredited by AACSB (business leadership) and Equis (quality assurance). The school is also mentioned as a school in the FT's European School rankings. Other than the 3 accounting bodies and CFA, I don't think the rest will be of much relevance to you.

To see which modules will be accredited by the accounting bodies, you need to go to their individual website, and see what exemptions you can get for the degree you think you're applying for.
ACCA: https://www.accaglobal.com/an/en/hel...alculator.html
ICAEW: https://apps.icaew.com/cpldirectory
CIMA: https://www.cimaglobal.com/Starting-...niversity-220/

I am not sure about the CFA exemptions, as I can't find it on the CFA website. You might want to check with the university to be sure. If they do offer exemptions for the CFA, it's likely to be for the Investment Management Certificate (IMC).

Note: when you apply for exemptions with the accounting boards, you will need to pay an exemption fee for each module you're exempt for (don't ask me why) as well as providing proof of you passing the modules.
If you want to be member/qualified with more than one accounting body for whatever reason, it will make more sense to obtain one accounting qualification before apply for exemptions and becoming member of another e.g. qualify with ACCA before applying for exemptions with CIMA. That way, you get more exemptions than if you went with your degree.
Ok Thanks. I still dont understand what you meant when you said the number of accredations are ridiculous
MindMax2000
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous162223)
Ok Thanks. I still dont understand what you meant when you said the number of accredations are ridiculous
Most accounting degree courses are accredited by the 3 accounting bodies. The other accreditations tend not to be associated with the courses. To have 6 in total for one degree is quite an achievement for a uni.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (45)
17.24%
No one else does (82)
31.42%
I'm embarrassed about my background (28)
10.73%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (88)
33.72%
We don't use a video platform (5)
1.92%
I don't have a camera (7)
2.68%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
2.3%

Watched Threads