Are men more sexually liberal than women?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
From what I read online and talking to men/women in real life, this seems to be the case.

it seems that the average men can get aroused more easily, have a higher rate of paraphilias/fetishes, and would be willing to have sex with more people than the average women. Not to say women aren't sexual, they can just be as sexual but seem to require an emotional connection with someone to really get off whereas many men get get off by just appearance.

Also, men seem to be open minded to 'taboo' sex (incest) than women are. Whenever you hear about a cousin who is crushing on another cousin, it's almost always a male on a female, rarely the other way around.

Is this just generalisations or what?
Wannabevetnurse
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
some females are more sexually liberal than men, in general men are sexually open.
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
From what I'm aware of, yes. Happy to change that position if there's evidence to suggest otherwise.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Sounds more like dependence than liberation to me...
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Sounds more like dependence than liberation to me...
Interesting choice of words. Do you think it's a combination of choice and other factors (biological perhaps) not in their control?
Joel 96
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's not in women's interests to be sexually open, so they are generally not. I have no problem with societal backlash to promiscuity as it only causes problems.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, I don't believe so.
It depends on the preferences of the individuals rather than biological sex; their sex drive and sometimes their upbringing in terms of family and religious traditions.
Amongst my unmarried sexually active friends, the women tend to be more sexually liberal than the guys.
Ramipril
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
No, I don't believe so.
It depends on the preferences of the individuals rather than biological sex; their sex drive and sometimes their upbringing in terms of family and religious traditions.
Amongst my unmarried sexually active friends, the women tend to be more sexually liberal than the guys.
I agree with the last bit here. I'm young and most of my friends are married. Generally the womend I know are more sexually liberal than the men.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Final Fantasy)
Interesting choice of words. Do you think it's a combination of choice and other factors (biological perhaps) not in their control?
Word it how you wish, but I am glad I am not a man with a high sex drive. "Not in their control" just sounds tragic to me - who wants to be controlled by their sex drive?
-Eirlys-
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
From what I read online and talking to men/women in real life, this seems to be the case.

it seems that the average men can get aroused more easily, have a higher rate of paraphilias/fetishes, and would be willing to have sex with more people than the average women. Not to say women aren't sexual, they can just be as sexual but seem to require an emotional connection with someone to really get off whereas many men get get off by just appearance.

Also, men seem to be open minded to 'taboo' sex (incest) than women are. Whenever you hear about a cousin who is crushing on another cousin, it's almost always a male on a female, rarely the other way around.

Or maybe it's more socially acceptable for a man to be open and honest about his sexul endeavours without being shamed like a woman would? Women are still expected to be quiet, innocent little things that don't talk about that sort of thing, so women are less likely to do so. I think it's more balanced than we realise, but maybe tipped more towards men, because you just have to look at the animal kingdom to know why.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Joel 96)
It's not in women's interests to be sexually open, so they are generally not. I have no problem with societal backlash to promiscuity as it only causes problems.
Why is it not in a woman's interest? Considering she is using contraception, how is it any different to a man being sexually open?
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Word it how you wish, but I am glad I am not a man with a high sex drive. "Not in their control" just sounds tragic to me - who wants to be controlled by their sex drive?
Well I thought it was interesting that you mentioned it being dependance rather than liberation. I don't know about the level of control, I was just thinking out loud here. Research time. I'll leave you alone.
Joel 96
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why is it not in a woman's interest? Considering she is using contraception, how is it any different to a man being sexually open?
A woman has a lot more to lose than a man if we view sexual intercourse as a business transaction. There are various downsides; she runs the risk of pregnancy, as well as no guarentee of an orgasm, the potential for the sex to hurt, and judgement from friends & family. Also consider that women aren't meant to be promiscuous evolutionarily unlike men.
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Haven't your friends realised that three is a crowd, not cause for apotheosis?
Unless the trio involves Union Jack Wearing Bulldog, Edesia and Nigella Lawson. :eating:
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

It is an interesting question. But I would start by asking, what does sexually liberal mean? Having more partners, having a preference towards fetishes or both, or actually behaving in a way that outwardly exhibits those preferences?

My own take is that on the whole, most people are very vanilla and inhibited. That doesn't mean they don't have desires, just they don't admit to, act on the or display them. Whether there is preference towards men or women being sexually liberated, I couldn't say.
Joleee
Report 1 month ago
there’s a difference between being sexually liberal and sexually liberated. as others have stated it’s still taboo for women to talk about sex so openly and have many sexual partners. that’s why when tv shows like Sex and the City get produced it’s still a bit shocking and for some audience members refreshing.

i disagree that women need an emotional connection to really get off. but sex, especially for a woman, is better with a partner they’ve had for a while over a fling or one night stand cuz that fling doesn’t know her body and won’t care to learn it like a long(er) term partner would.
IanDangerously
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Probably. The more women a man sleeps with, the more respected he is amongst other men. The more men a woman sleeps with, the less respected she is amongst other women.

We can sleep with whoever we want and not be classed as sluts so why wouldn’t we be more sexually liberal? :laugh:
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Joel 96)
Also consider that women aren't meant to be promiscuous evolutionarily unlike men.
nonsense
Joel 96
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by black tea)
nonsense
Sex roles are defined by differences in gametes: females produce relatively few, highly nutritious (usually non-motile) gametes, whereas males produce comparatively abundant, smaller, motile gametes. Because only a single gamete of each type is required to produce an offspring, there will be an excess of male gametes that will not fertilize any eggs. This asymmetry leads to Bateman's principle, whereby female reproduction is primarily limited by their access to resources to nourish and produce these large gametes, whereas male reproduction is mainly limited by access to females (Bateman 1948). Therefore males typically compete among themselves for access to females, whereas females tend to be choosy and mate only with preferred males.

In sexually reproducing species, every offspring has one father and one mother, so the average reproductive success is equal for both males and females. A successful male can potentially sire many offspring. If a male gains a disproportionate share of reproduction, he will take away reproductive opportunities from other males, leading to a high reproductive variance among males. A successful female, on the other hand, will not take away reproductive opportunities from other females, leading to a smaller variance in reproductive success. The higher the reproductive variance, the stronger the effects of sexual selection. Strong sexual selection typically results in sexually dimorphic traits that are exaggerated, or more elaborate, in the sex with highest reproductive variance.

https://www.nature.com/scitable/know...tion-13255240/
Joel 96
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by IanDangerously)
The more women a man sleeps with, the more respected he is amongst other men. The more men a woman sleeps with, the less respected she is amongst other women.
This is absolutely true.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (195)
58.21%
I don't have everything I need (140)
41.79%

Watched Threads