Student finance - how many 'years' do I have left?

Watch
Nyftyx
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi all,

I'm looking to return to university for 2021/22 after previously withdrawing in October 2019, right at the start of what was my second year. Now, when I withdrew, I was under the impression that I still had 3 years of covered expenses left if I ever wanted to return to study - which is where I am now. However, I have read on gov.uk (and this very forum) that any sort of payment received for that academic year counts towards that entire year, which worried me quite a bit. I have checked my SFE account and the only money I had received was the first payment of maintenance loan (which I immediately payed back as far as I know), and not the tuition fee loan like I had previously thought. So, the question I have is:

How many years of financial support do I have left? Is it 3 years of tuition fee loans and 2 and 2/3 of maintenance loans, if it even works like that?

If the above is true, do I have to pay for one of (the first, apparently) the maintenance loans?

Thanks.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Nyftyx)
Hi all,

I'm looking to return to university for 2021/22 after previously withdrawing in October 2019, right at the start of what was my second year. Now, when I withdrew, I was under the impression that I still had 3 years of covered expenses left if I ever wanted to return to study - which is where I am now. However, I have read on gov.uk (and this very forum) that any sort of payment received for that academic year counts towards that entire year, which worried me quite a bit. I have checked my SFE account and the only money I had received was the first payment of maintenance loan (which I immediately payed back as far as I know), and not the tuition fee loan like I had previously thought. So, the question I have is:

How many years of financial support do I have left? Is it 3 years of tuition fee loans and 2 and 2/3 of maintenance loans, if it even works like that?

If the above is true, do I have to pay for one of (the first, apparently) the maintenance loans?

Thanks.
Degree +1

1. Frst year- goes to degree length +0.
2. Second year goes to degree -1. If you incurred any fees or received any loan that amounts to a full year.

3. That means a start of uni will amount to degree -1, which means you cna apply for furst year maintenance, but the fees for year 1 have to be paid by you and are not covered.

There are ways round this, but will leave that to others to explain them to you.
GabiAbi84
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It really depends on when your withdrawal date from second year was. If the university had confirmed your attendance and they received any tuition fees then yes, it counts as a full year.

If you have CPR (compelling personal reasons) for why you withdrew you can apply for that years funding back.
Nyftyx
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thanks for your replies!

(Original post by 999tigger)
Degree +1

1. Frst year- goes to degree length +0.
2. Second year goes to degree -1. If you incurred any fees or received any loan that amounts to a full year.

3. That means a start of uni will amount to degree -1, which means you cna apply for furst year maintenance, but the fees for year 1 have to be paid by you and are not covered.

There are ways round this, but will leave that to others to explain them to you.
Yeah, thanks for the reminder. I forgot to mention that I did apply and start a three year course, just in case there was any confusion. If it came to me paying my maintenance myself, then my plans for going back to study would have to change, but I'll double check with SFE themselves.
(Original post by GabiAbi84)
It really depends on when your withdrawal date from second year was. If the university had confirmed your attendance and they received any tuition fees then yes, it counts as a full year.

If you have CPR (compelling personal reasons) for why you withdrew you can apply for that years funding back.
If I remember correctly, I think my withdrawal date was during the first week of October. I did enrol for that year and got some maintenance loan as a result, but the university got nothing (in terms of tuition fees) as far as I can see. I am logged into SFE as I'm typing this, and can confirm that. I guess that means I've used that year? I don't have CPR, but I'll contact SFE to clarify anyway.
Last edited by Nyftyx; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (370)
56.32%
I don't have everything I need (287)
43.68%

Watched Threads