badatmaths123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am a second year student children’s nurse still on my first year placements due to covid but I am thinking of dropping out. I’m not enjoying my placements at all and am finding it hard to be motivated and have little interest about the course and find myself just waiting to go home on placement. I enjoy the caring side of nursing but nothing else and I was never into science. I’m finding the shifts so long and exhausting and I’m finding it hard to see any pro’s to the course. Nursing was never my first choice in career and I felt forced into it as I didn’t pass GCSE maths so I had to do health and social care because of the college I went to and my parents were also encouraging it. Everyone’s telling me
to stick it out because there’s many areas you can do in nursing but I’m not enjoying the content or placement . Not sure what I’d do if I dropped out but I’m tired of forcing myself to continue on the degree when I don’t have much interest in it. Any advice from anyone who’s dropped out ?
Tracey_W
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by badatmaths123)
I am a second year student children’s nurse still on my first year placements due to covid but I am thinking of dropping out. I’m not enjoying my placements at all and am finding it hard to be motivated and have little interest about the course and find myself just waiting to go home on placement. I enjoy the caring side of nursing but nothing else and I was never into science. I’m finding the shifts so long and exhausting and I’m finding it hard to see any pro’s to the course. Nursing was never my first choice in career and I felt forced into it as I didn’t pass GCSE maths so I had to do health and social care because of the college I went to and my parents were also encouraging it. Everyone’s telling me
to stick it out because there’s many areas you can do in nursing but I’m not enjoying the content or placement . Not sure what I’d do if I dropped out but I’m tired of forcing myself to continue on the degree when I don’t have much interest in it. Any advice from anyone who’s dropped out ?
Hi

Don't drop out ok
Complete things not as you just over year away from qualifying and then you'll find a Jamar b in nursing you'll enjoy,

Obviously right now don't help things but you aren't alone in this situation as how many other student adult / children/ midwifes are same as you !!!!!

Placements was unfortunately cancelled earlier in year for all student nursing staff but obviously 2nd & 3rd years got paid opportunity to continue with things awhile all first years never.
As a student nurse its all about basic skills in nursing and you getting taught these as the real nursing and future learning only starts once you are qualified ok.

I'm a qualified midwife last summer 2019, and yet I ask things still about things so don't worry at present.

NMC will take things into account anyway plus you may get opportunity to do extra placements when things settle hopefully.

You will make a good nurse if you stick in and prove yourself to you can do this,
I did 12 hours shifts throughout my student days and I'm still doing them yet as we don't have any other shift patterns in our hospitals as all 12 hours shifts, only GP community nurses, and out patients staff has a shorter shift than us.
Curiousferrets
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm in literally the same position, for many of the same reasons. I'm thinking of asking for a year out, however they may not let me as I have had to retake already. I'm old, tired and the Covid situation has finished me off. I don't know what to do either. Worst thing is I know if be a brilliant nurse but the training style and set up finishes me off.with my situation. You have my sympathy!
Tracey_W
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Curiousferrets)
I'm in literally the same position, for many of the same reasons. I'm thinking of asking for a year out, however they may not let me as I have had to retake already. I'm old, tired and the Covid situation has finished me off. I don't know what to do either. Worst thing is I know if be a brilliant nurse but the training style and set up finishes me off.with my situation. You have my sympathy!
Hi

I wouldn't give up if you came this far from qualifying as a nurse,
You can always first of all qualify as a nurse and then decide about taking time out and look at the situation then, unfortunately you are right about things with covid19 because its causing all of us more pressure to do the job .
Go on and do what is necessary to become a good nurse and yes prove yourself you can do this and become a brilliant nurse like you said if you finish your training ok, its been a uncomfortable year in nursing with the challenges of covid19 has presented to us qualified nursing staff and those who are / were student nurses as I don't think nobody would had thought about a global pandemic when we started our training to become nurses.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (32)
16.08%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (60)
30.15%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (76)
38.19%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (26)
13.07%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.51%

Watched Threads