shmainab
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
How long did it take you to pass ur driving test? How old were you? Did you have any experience before? Did you take intensive courses or just the regular ones? Would you recommend buying 1 hour sessions PAYG or a block 5/10 lessons? Tenks
PizzaBoi
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
- 4-5 lessons
- 18 years old
- yes, my old man taught me how to drive. He would cheekily allow me to drive & swap over on long journeys.

I don’t know what PAYG is. But everyone has a different level of driving skill. Some people latch onto the skill quicker then others. There’s no point doing a intensive course as a beginner. I would stick to doing normal driving lessons to see how the first few goes.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's getting onto two years at this point thanks to lockdown

I started lessons at 25, no experience beforehand, regular lessons

My biggest bit of advice is to not compare yourself to anyone else, it's pointless and only makes you feel bad
Bexjw
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Less than 3 months with regular weekly lessons. No access to a car at home so only drove when on a lesson.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by shmainab)
How long did it take you to pass ur driving test? How old were you? Did you have any experience before? Did you take intensive courses or just the regular ones? Would you recommend buying 1 hour sessions PAYG or a block 5/10 lessons? Tenks
About 6 months with a break in the middle. Mid 30s. No.

Just took regular lessons but I found 2 hours ones far more effective, you can go further afield and you feel like you have more lesson time to ask to try things. ideally I took 2 x 2 hour lessons a week.

I preferred to book 10 hours at a time, but it was £200 with no catches which is an utter bargain, the guy had a v good rep but i had to make my own choice to whether i trusted him with the cash, you CAN get into awkward arguments with instructors that way, but mine was good.

I wouldn't recommend any intensive course really, IMO having a few days between lessons to decompress and mentally go over how things went is essential to learning. Try and cram too much together and many students simply tune out, and lessons are too expensive to tune out.

Ditto, you almost certainly will have lessons that upset you... you get a fright, make a bad mistake, the instructor snaps at you ect and it slams your confidence.. better to get that out of the way in a single lesson and have some time to calm down rather than the day having cost you £100+ and you know you need to go back out the next day with the same instructor for another 100+ day. That would sap the hell out my enthusiasm.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (149)
60.08%
I don't have everything I need (99)
39.92%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed