College Application-Personal Statement

Watch
average_human
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi, I need to write my personal statement as I am applying to college for September. I don't know where to start. I want to study french, german, and history-maybe I could put that in there somewhere?

In my spare time-I've volunteered at the Girlguiding hut, been on a french exchange, been part of the school council, done my duke of york digital enterprise award, and I got to the regional finals of performing Shakespeare.

Could anyone give me a few tips on how to structure it/where to start-any help would be MASSIVELY appreciated? Thanks
FatYikes
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by average_human)
Hi, I need to write my personal statement as I am applying to college for September. I don't know where to start. I want to study french, german, and history-maybe I could put that in there somewhere?

In my spare time-I've volunteered at the Girlguiding hut, been on a french exchange, been part of the school council, done my duke of york digital enterprise award, and I got to the regional finals of performing Shakespeare.

Could anyone give me a few tips on how to structure it/where to start-any help would be MASSIVELY appreciated? Thanks
Personal statements should include evidence of your passion for the subjects, as well as any relevant experiences and definitely extra curriculars. Though you are applying for college you could look at example statements for university as this will help you get an idea of what kind of thing you need to be writing, there are plenty of examples online. Best advice I was given was don't worry about your first draft being good- just get it all out on paper and worry about the rest later!
It sounds like you have a great range of stuff to put on there. I would mention why you want to do French, History and German and what you have learned or gained from your extra curriculars. Hope this helps a little
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Demonstrate your passion. Read a few other personal statements online to get a idea of what to write about. Use what you have done in your spare time as fodder for your personal statement, explain any useful skills gained as a result. Like teamwork for example.
average_human
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by tinygirl96)
Demonstrate your passion. Read a few other personal statements online to get a idea of what to write about. Use what you have done in your spare time as fodder for your personal statement, explain any useful skills gained as a result. Like teamwork for example.
thank you
average_human
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by FatYikes)
Personal statements should include evidence of your passion for the subjects, as well as any relevant experiences and definitely extra curriculars. Though you are applying for college you could look at example statements for university as this will help you get an idea of what kind of thing you need to be writing, there are plenty of examples online. Best advice I was given was don't worry about your first draft being good- just get it all out on paper and worry about the rest later!
It sounds like you have a great range of stuff to put on there. I would mention why you want to do French, History and German and what you have learned or gained from your extra curriculars. Hope this helps a little
thank you
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
no problem
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (437)
56.24%
I don't have everything I need (340)
43.76%

Watched Threads