Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Briana5647)
Strengths and weaknesses of aquinas fifth way
Basically:
Empirical argument:
Posteriori premise - we see creatures exhibit beneficial behaviour. It is universally available - all you have to do is observe nature that so premise 1 is true
Valid structure:
Argument has valid structure - if premise is true, one should accept 1st part of conclusion

BUT

Purpose does not need a designer:
Can find a false premise in the argument, even with valid structure, we are not forced to accept conclusion. May attack premise 3 - Darwin's theory of evolution as science has shown purpose without concept of God
The inductive leap is not warranted:
Even if Aquinas right in saying world was designed, this does not give logical reason to accept that it's God of classical theism
Briana5647
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by alias12)
basically:
empirical argument:
posteriori premise - we see creatures exhibit beneficial behaviour. It is universally available - all you have to do is observe nature that so premise 1 is true
valid structure:
argument has valid structure - if premise is true, one should accept 1st part of conclusion

but

purpose does not need a designer:
can find a false premise in the argument, even with valid structure, we are not forced to accept conclusion. May attack premise 3 - darwin's theory of evolution as science has shown purpose without concept of god
the inductive leap is not warranted:
even if aquinas right in saying world was designed, this does not give logical reason to accept that it's god of classical theism
thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (195)
58.21%
I don't have everything I need (140)
41.79%

Watched Threads